NiCad repair service on eBay

The "extra" contact probably has something to do with controlling the performance of the charger. There could be a temperature measuring component (Like a thermistor, or even a diode.) inside the pack which tells the charger to turn down the charging current if things get too warm inside. One side of that sensor could be connected to one of the battery terminals and the other side to that "extra" contact.

I wouldn't worry about the 16.5 volts, that's about correct for the unloaded voltage of a charged up "14.4 volt" pack. If you measured that voltage when the drill was running, you'd find it much closer to its rated value.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

thanks Jeff, sets my mind at ease. yeah, when i opened the battery pack there was a little electronic gizmo attached and taped to one of the cells, figured it must be some kind of safety thing for charging. well, so, then, 100% satisfactory service from voltman.com.

b.w.

Reply to
William Wixon