Replaced Tx battery pack in Airtronics RD6000 Sport and it now beeps...

My old battery pack went and died, wouldn't hold a charge worth a
tinker's darn.
Went to one of my LHS (blessed with two within 5 miles of each other)
and had them swap out my old battery pack and drop in a new one.
9.6V/700mAh
Charged the transmitter up and turned it on. Voltage starts out in the
right spot but I get a beep-beep-beep every minute or so and the
voltage drops slowly but visibly for about fifteen minutes when the
radio goes into dead-pack mode.
Did I install the right-sized pack? Is this some feature of the radio
that is set (like stopwatch)? Should I take the transmitter in to be
serviced (at the otehr LHS)?
Reply to
Byrocat
| My old battery pack went and died, wouldn't hold a charge worth a | tinker's darn. | | Went to one of my LHS (blessed with two within 5 miles of each other) | and had them swap out my old battery pack and drop in a new one. | 9.6V/700mAh | | Charged the transmitter up and turned it on. Voltage starts out in the | right spot
About 11.2 volts?
| but I get a beep-beep-beep every minute or so and the | voltage drops slowly but visibly for about fifteen minutes when the | radio goes into dead-pack mode.
What's the voltage at before it dies?
| Did I install the right-sized pack? Is this some feature of the | radio that is set (like stopwatch)? Should I take the transmitter in | to be serviced (at the otehr LHS)?
I don't have any of these exact radios, but the battery pack looks to be completely standard -- 9.6 volts, normal Airtronics plug, etc. If the new pack cannot power the radio for more than a few minutes, then either the pack is bad, the charger is bad, or the charger circuit in the radio is bad.
Do you have a peak charger you can use? Charge the battery outside of the radio. If you have a cycler, try that, see if it cycles OK.
I'd suggest taking it back to the hobby shop that sold you the battery pack, let them look at it. No need to send it all in quite yet.
Reply to
Doug McLaren
I would never replace a Tx pack with a 700 mAh pack. What is the voltage when it begins beeping? About 9.6 volts? A fully charged pack should be around 11.4 volts. The pack isn't fully charged or is bad. You need to charge it for at least 24 hours. I would get a 1650 mAh Nimh pack for your Tx, especially computer Txs. RadicalRC is a good place to get mailorder packs.
John VB
Reply to
jjvb
Assuming that the battery was charged correctly, another explanatio might be a abnormal condition that draws excessive current after th voltmeter section. How old was the original battery
-- sfsjki ----------------------------------------------------------------------- sfsjkid's Profile:
this thread:
sfsjkid
Dunno about thge RD6000 but my Radiant- the first Airtronics Computer Xmitter - *came* with an 800 mAH battery. It has a NIMH 1500 in it now. I'm guessing your HS put in too low a capacity battery. Take it back.
CR
Byrocat wrote:
Reply to
Charles & Peggy Robinson
Do you have anything attached to the antenna like a frequency pin or timer etc. One fellow in our club had a electronic timer attached to his antenna and for 3 summers we could not figure out why his battery pack would only last 3 flights. We cycled them on an Einstein unit, no problems, still would only last 3 flights. One day the timer battery quit so he took off the timer and bingo no battery drain, lasted the whole day.
Reply to
stearman

Site Timeline