LITCO ALPHA 4 FOR SALE

I have an Aplha 4 charger for sale. It is in top notch condition, like new. With owners/instruction manual.

$300.00 or best offer greater than.

Please e-mail me directly at:

snipped-for-privacy@mchsi.com

Reply to
Tim

I won the Litco lottery again and have one on order. Payment due by Nov 28. I already have two. Does anyone want this for my cost plus shipping? The box will not even be opened.

-- Red S. Red's R/C Battery Clinic

us out for "revolting" information.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

Out of curiosity what is cost?

Reply to
Normen Strobel

$259.00 + $14.00 s/h. Litco lottery Nov 20

Greg

Reply to
Greg Seewald

Hey Red, What are you putting on the subject line and in the body of your e-mails that got accepted by Litco? I have one, but haven't been able to get another.

Greg

Reply to
Greg Seewald

Maybe: "Take meeeee, PLEEEEESE! :-)

I've tried three times and bought three A4's (use two and the third is still sitting in the unopened box it came in). I think it's timing most of all.

MJC

Reply to
MJC

Hi Folks, I am a bit puzzled as to the apparent fascination with these Alpha 4 systems. I have never even seen one let alone use one so I am on the outside looking in. What I find amazing is that after being away from this newsgroup for two years, I am still seeing posts about guys begging to get the company to sell them one of these things. Litco Lottery? Seems to me that this company has very poor customer service by not meeting the demands of the market, even after all this time... why aren't they stepping up to the plate for their loyal customers? Maybe it is intentional to create a stir over their product. My feeling is... I have been in the RC hobby for nearly 30 years and have never lost an airplane to battery failure (many to pilot error!) and have managed to keep all my battery packs in good condition without spending $350+ (Cdn) on a charger from a company that makes you beg for their product. JMHO

Reply to
Bruce M.

I haven't been in this hobby as long as Bruce M. But I to have managed to never lose an airplane due to battery problems. I have an old FMA Einstein XL that I use to cycle my batteries every once in a while. It cost me somewhere around $100.

It must be a status symbol th> Hi Folks,

Reply to
Vance Howard

From what I can tell, the A4 doesn't do anything that other chargers do. AND, the other vendors do not make you jump through hoops to acquire their equipment. I have also never lost a plane due to a battery failure, not that I haven't come close. I have a set of simple procedures that I go through pre and post flight that have, for the past ten years, worked well. The key is having accurate measuring devices and never falling for the old "Yea, the battery is low, but it should be good for just one more flight" Bill

Reply to
me

Re-hash...go here:

Don Hatten

My cost from Litco for the Alpha 4 is:

Alpha 4 (including wall transformer with 2.5 mm plug $249

5 ea. 2.5 mm adapter cables stripped and tinned, connects battery port to battery 3 ft 18 gauge $25

1 each 2.5 mm adapter cable with cigarette lighter plug connects 12 volt car battery to Alpha 4 power jack (5 ft 18 gauge) $10

Shipping, handling, insurance $14

Total $298

Pack and reship to you (insured) $20

Total cost to you $318

Shipping in early December 2003

Red S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

Actually, the Alpha4 does a LOT more than any single other charger does. It has not garnered the following it has for nothing. Besides the many different ways that it can charge and cycle batteries, it also does dual duty as a home charger (AC w/supplied transformer) AND as a field charger (right off your 12V cig lighter). You need to go to their web site and carefully read ALL of the things that the A4 does. And trust me, it does them all perfectly. Because of the A4, virtually all of my battery packs last better than 5 to 6 years and then some, still cycling to MORE than their rated capacity. The only thing the A4 doesn't do is to do HIGH-amp, fast charging of flight batteries (for example) for electric aircraft (and that kind of charging was NEVER the original intent of the design of the A4). The max current charge of the A4 is 1 amp; plenty for what it does, including fast charging of battery packs. I notice that it is those who have never had one, or used one, that are so dismissive of the A4's capabilities. It's the only charger I'll ever need for the rest of my life. It does it all and then some, and worth every penny. And THAT, my friend, is why a newer A4 will more often than not sell for more than it's new price when auctioned on EBAY . The whiners are those who simply can't stand that a company offers a product that is so successful that they can sell all they make. Get in line.

MJC

"me" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@yvn.com...

Reply to
MJC

Amen!

Reply to
Lyman Slack

| Actually, the Alpha4 does a LOT more than any single other charger | does.

Of course, for the price, you can buy several `single' chargers. And, perhaps even more importantly, you can pick up the phone today and have them delivered to your house tomorrow, or pick them up at the local hobby shop right now.

For example, the GP Triton appears to do everything with a single pack that the A4 will do except run off 110v AC (the A4 comes with a big wall-wart) and a few things it can't.

| The only thing the A4 doesn't do is to do HIGH-amp, fast charging of | flight batteries (for example) for electric aircraft (and that kind of | charging was NEVER the original intent of the design of the A4).

Who cares what the `original intent of the design of the A4' is? Many people want to be able to charge at over 1 amp, and the A4 cannot do this for them.

Also, the A4 can't charge lithium-ion batteries. Of course, they weren't nearly so popular when it was first created as they are now. Of course, I imagine a small change to the A4 firmware would let it safely charge Li-Ion cells, but this change has not been made yet that I'm aware of.

| The max current charge of the A4 is 1 amp; plenty for what it does, | including fast charging of battery packs.

Not that fast for a giant scale plane or helicopter with a 3000+ mA pack or two. But perfect for keeping the receiver packs and transmitters of a fleet of airplanes charged ...

| I notice that it is those who have never had one, or used one, that | are so dismissive of the A4's capabilities. It's the only charger | I'll ever need for the rest of my life.

Obviously then you don't fly electrics larger than a park flier, and don't plan on ever doing so.

| It does it all and then some, and worth every penny.

It doesn't do it all. Once it can charge at 5 amps and can charge Li-Ion/Li-Poly packs, then you can claim it does it all (maybe ... some people will want even higher charge rates than 5A), but not until then.

Don't get me wrong -- it sounds like a neat charger. But it's obviously not the second coming of Christ.

| And THAT, my friend, is why a newer A4 will more often than not sell | for more than it's new price when auctioned on EBAY .

No, the reason that A4s go on Ebay for more than the selling price is because the manufacturer can not (or will not) make enough to keep up with demand (obviously it's a neat charger, so there's a signifigant demand.)

That, and they make people jump through hoops to buy one. Some people don't want to jump through hoops, or do jump through the hoops and still don't get lucky and win the lottery, and so they're willing to pay more for one on Ebay. Simple supply and demand.

| The whiners are those who simply can't stand that a company offers a | product that is so successful that they can sell all they make.

Except that they make very few of them. Great Planes probably makes over 100 Triton chargers for every Alpha4 that's created. If the Alpha4 was as easy to get as a Triton (or any other charger), even at the $300 price, we'd not be talking about it now.

(And maybe that's the plan -- I don't know. Doesn't the creator

*like* making money? Sounds like he could make a lot more money if he got some help mass producing them.)

| Get in line.

No thanks. Again, it looks like a neat charger, but it's too limited for what I'd want it for. And it's pricy. And it's difficult to get.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

The point was not whether or not it was a good charger, it was that the company is apparently not too interested in providing a service by keeping up with demand. I would find it very insulting to have to "get in line" and say "please, please" to spend that kind of money on their system when there are ones that are just as good , cheaper and readily available when you want it. Take a step back and see what else is out there... is the A4 REALLY any better? Talk about company induced hype!

Reply to
Bruce M.

Well said.

Sparkle!

Reply to
Bruce M.

Reply to
Burt

You make a valid point. What about this "lottery" idea though? If I am correct, you kind of have to apply to buy one and then wait and see if you are "a chosen one" (some never win the lottery) or do you get an actual delivery date?

Reply to
Bruce M.

The A4 is a fine charger and in big demand. No argument there. Reading some of the posts, it would appear that it possesses some magical qualities that extend battery life. I don't think so. As far as I know, you can't plug more than two batteries into it at a time. (I might be wrong here, if so, please correct me) Somewhat limited for me, unless I step up to two. I am not knocking the charger, I will probably buy one, or two sooner or later. (Always seems to work out that way)

Reply to
me

I agree. The only problem is when that demand causes some "off shore" people acquire one, reverse engineer it, steal the programming and start selling them cheap. That has happened more times than we can count.

Reply to
me