Shop plans update

Some might remember my posting about building my workshop/garage into a hillside bank-barn style, well after much consideration and planning I'm going to abandon that idea in favor of a 30 x 50 steel frame on a flat part of the yard. The design for the hill side structure required lots of concrete @ approx $100 per yd. Even with my involvement in digging and forming I would of had $20K in the 1st floor walls/foundation, floor slab and 2" toping w/spancrete planks & still needed to build the second floor/roof. After looking around I found I can purchase a 30 x 50 steel frame 14' wall and put it on a slab for about the $20k and have money left for new tools ect. Anyway I'm thinking about a Heritage steel frame

) if I order from a distance or possibility an Armor (
) as there is a local dealer. The local dealer is new, has not sold any buildings yet and gave me a substantially higher price (30%) on the basic parts. His protests aside I can't see any major differences in the design or materials and I gave them both the same specs. I do realize it would be nice to have a local on the hook if I run into problems but I'm don't feel it's worth 30% more, plus if he hasn't sold and built any yet then he's in the same place I am. If anyone has experience with Heritage or Armor good or bad I'd like to hear about it, also any first hand metal building tales would be good too.

Thanks

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew V

Andrew, My neighbor has a 40x60 Wedgcor

steel building. I think he put it up around 1994 or 5 and it cost him $18000. He is very happy with it and said the customer service is good. (He had a slight problem with a window support and they fixed it quickly.) His purchase price does not include erection costs because he borrowed a winch from me and made an *A* frame to lift the pieces into place. Cheers, Jim (In Sequim, WA with the ICF house)

Reply to
Jim & Hils

Thanks for the link Jim, I'll take a look. I'm finding that many of the steel frame companies only design the buildings and then the steel work is done at mills on either coast. Several of the ones I've spoken to all shop from the same town in PA. I was looking forward to using ICF's and building into the hillside but the costs will be much more reasonable w/ a steel frame on the flat.

enjoy

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew V

One suggestion I would make -- put your outlets at least 4-1/2 feet up from the floor. That way, you can lean 4 * 8 sheets of "stuff" against the walls without covering up the outlets. Nothing more irritating than realizing all the outlets are behind something!

mikey

Reply to
Mike Fields