Peltier junction

How effective are peltier junctions? Would it be possible to attach one to an aluminum plate, place it in the dog's house and keep him cool in 90 and above weather?

Reply to
Skenny

Probably not powerful enough. The standard 40mm square one used in food coolers/warmers pumps about 50-60W depending on supply voltage. It consumes about the same power as it pumps, making it much less efficient than a fridge or aircon heat pump.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thats what I was thinking too. Does anyone have any ideas about cooling dog (or pet's) house during hot summer days? I know this sounds like a joke, but Im serious. A small AC unit would probably work, but I was thinking it would work too good, since it would be cooling a very small space. Also, pet hair would tend to stop up the filter and evaporator fins.

Reply to
Skenny

how about attaching Peltier cooler directly to Dog's primary heat exchanger (i.e. tongue)? Tie wrap or velcro seem like a good fit!

Just kidding

Reply to
no_one

My dog would chew it up. I think he could even destroy titanium steel.. LOL

Reply to
Skenny

This is a *DUMB* idea.

Really?

Peltiers are horribly inefficient and you have to dump the heat somewhere (close). The poor dog shouldn't be left outside if it's that hot.

Reply to
krw

An wall array of multiple Peltier junctions would work, but as stated above would not be as electrically efficient as conventional evaporator-compressor cooling. You would also need to find a source of them at acceptable cost.

One advantage of Peltiers though is that they do not require the starting amps that a hvac motor would need.

You could conceivably power them from a low voltage solar array (12 to

48 VDC) on top of the doghouse (It would have to be pretty big!). Thus, the more sun on a hot day, the more power available for cooling.

From my own experiments with Peltier junctions, I've noticed that they will produce a condensate (dirty water) dripping from the cooling plate, just like a regular air conditioner. Take this into account with your design.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

Since dogs cool by evaporation from tongue, it's not clear to me that just cooling the air will be as beneficial as it is to humans. A dog's idea of comfort might be quiet different, e.g. low humidity might be much more important.

Anyway, what about starting with an old but working fridge? Take the door off and build out the front to whatever size you need for the kennel. It would need to be very well insulated and the entrance would need some type of draft barrier (but not air-tight or you'll suffocate the pet). Protect the rear condensor, compressor and electrical from rain, and make sure you run the thing via a GFI. Thermostat will need changing to one with a suitable range, e.g. 21C.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Forget the peltier's, how about an evaporation unit. You could make a frame and cover it with sacking doubled over and rig a solar powered pump to keep it wet. A simple sump with a ball valve for the supply.

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Reply to
Skenny

Yup, sure are but it would improve things for the dog I imagine. That and some good insulation with low velocity high volume air transfer. Perhaps on consideration make a very well insulated kennel under a shade roof with the air treatment plant detached ?

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull