Peltier junction

How effective are peltier junctions?
Would it be possible to attach one to an aluminum plate, place it in the
dog's house and keep him cool in 90 and above weather?
Reply to
Skenny
Probably not powerful enough. The standard 40mm square one used in food coolers/warmers pumps about 50-60W depending on supply voltage. It consumes about the same power as it pumps, making it much less efficient than a fridge or aircon heat pump.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel
Thats what I was thinking too. Does anyone have any ideas about cooling dog (or pet's) house during hot summer days? I know this sounds like a joke, but Im serious. A small AC unit would probably work, but I was thinking it would work too good, since it would be cooling a very small space. Also, pet hair would tend to stop up the filter and evaporator fins.
Reply to
Skenny
how about attaching Peltier cooler directly to Dog's primary heat exchanger (i.e. tongue)? Tie wrap or velcro seem like a good fit!
Just kidding
> Thats what I was thinking too. > Does anyone have any ideas about cooling dog (or pet's) house during hot > summer days? > I know this sounds like a joke, but Im serious. > A small AC unit would probably work, but I was thinking it would work too > good, since it would be cooling a very small space. Also, pet hair would > tend to stop up the filter and evaporator fins. >
Reply to
no_one
My dog would chew it up. I think he could even destroy titanium steel.. LOL
> how about attaching Peltier cooler directly to Dog's primary heat > exchanger (i.e. tongue)? Tie wrap or velcro seem like a good fit! > > Just kidding >
>> Thats what I was thinking too. >> Does anyone have any ideas about cooling dog (or pet's) house during hot >> summer days? >> I know this sounds like a joke, but Im serious. >> A small AC unit would probably work, but I was thinking it would work too >> good, since it would be cooling a very small space. Also, pet hair would >> tend to stop up the filter and evaporator fins. >>
>>> "Skenny" writes: >>>> How effective are peltier junctions? >>>> Would it be possible to attach one to an aluminum plate, place it in >>>> the >>>> dog's house and keep him cool in 90 and above weather? >>> >>> Probably not powerful enough. The standard 40mm square one used >>> in food coolers/warmers pumps about 50-60W depending on supply >>> voltage. It consumes about the same power as it pumps, making >>> it much less efficient than a fridge or aircon heat pump. >>> >>> -- >>> Andrew Gabriel >> >> >> >>
Reply to
Skenny
This is a *DUMB* idea.
Really?
Peltiers are horribly inefficient and you have to dump the heat somewhere (close). The poor dog shouldn't be left outside if it's that hot.
Reply to
krw
An wall array of multiple Peltier junctions would work, but as stated above would not be as electrically efficient as conventional evaporator-compressor cooling. You would also need to find a source of them at acceptable cost.
One advantage of Peltiers though is that they do not require the starting amps that a hvac motor would need.
You could conceivably power them from a low voltage solar array (12 to 48 VDC) on top of the doghouse (It would have to be pretty big!). Thus, the more sun on a hot day, the more power available for cooling.
From my own experiments with Peltier junctions, I've noticed that they will produce a condensate (dirty water) dripping from the cooling plate, just like a regular air conditioner. Take this into account with your design.
Beachcomber
Reply to
Beachcomber
Since dogs cool by evaporation from tongue, it's not clear to me that just cooling the air will be as beneficial as it is to humans. A dog's idea of comfort might be quiet different, e.g. low humidity might be much more important.
Anyway, what about starting with an old but working fridge? Take the door off and build out the front to whatever size you need for the kennel. It would need to be very well insulated and the entrance would need some type of draft barrier (but not air-tight or you'll suffocate the pet). Protect the rear condensor, compressor and electrical from rain, and make sure you run the thing via a GFI. Thermostat will need changing to one with a suitable range, e.g. 21C.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel
Forget the peltier's, how about an evaporation unit. You could make a frame and cover it with sacking doubled over and rig a solar powered pump to keep it wet. A simple sump with a ball valve for the supply.
Reply to
Rheilly Phoull
Arent evaprative coolers less effiecent in high humidity? I know we tried at our plant using evaporative coolers, they were big bulky fans blowing through a paper type media that was wetted by a pump from a sump at the bottom. It had to be attached to a water supply to keep the sump filled. They didnt work too good though, and after some research (from us maintenenace people), we found that the humidity level in our area of the globe made the coolers almost not work at all. The machine operators complained about them not working, so now they are setting in our way at our maintenance shop. (unplugged and pushed in a corner.) This also goes back to one poster's comment about a dog not sweating, but using his tounge to cool. So maybe humidity wouldnt be a factor? Or maybe the condensation inside the dog house would be. I think that it is an engineer's passion to make things work, and for the sake of discussion (such as this newsgroup), any idea, no matter how stupid it may sound, is playground material for an engineer.
Reply to
Skenny
Yup, sure are but it would improve things for the dog I imagine. That and some good insulation with low velocity high volume air transfer. Perhaps on consideration make a very well insulated kennel under a shade roof with the air treatment plant detached ?
Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Site Timeline