Phase Tape Use...

A few years ago I remember there being something in the code book about the minimum size of wire (I believe it used to say that you could only phase tape wires larger than #8) that was allowed to be phase teped to identify the circuit color that it was, but I haven't seen any information in the code book where it says anything about that. Has any one seen anything in the code book referencing this information lately?

Reply to
Robert Bodling

I don't have my book handy so I can't quote, but what you remember refers to identifying grounding conductors. Anything smaller than #4 must have green insulation. 4 and larger can be identified w/ tape. Look in article 250.

John

Reply to
John Ray

There are numerous conductor identification requirements in the NEC for grounding conductors, grounded conductors, and ungrounded conductors. I am assuming that you are referring to ungrounded conductors since you ask about phase taping. Phase taping is not required but is permitted for the following. (Your reference to the size No. 8 probably refers to identifying grounded and equipment grounding conductors where this size is a factor.)

210.4 Multiwire Branch Circuits. (C) Ungrounded Conductors. Where the premises wiring system has branch circuits supplied from more than one nominal voltage system, each ungrounded conductor of a branch circuit, where accessible, shall be identified by system. The means of identification shall be permitted to be by separate color coding, marking tape, tagging, or other approved means and shall be permanently posted at each branch-circuit panelboard or similar branch-circuit distribution equipment.

215.12 Identification for Feeders. (C) Ungrounded Conductors. Where the premises wiring system has feeders supplied from more than one nominal voltage system, each ungrounded conductor of a feeder, where accessible, shall be identified by system. The means of identification shall be permitted to be by separate color coding, marking tape, tagging, or other approved means and shall be permanently posted at each feeder panelboard or similar feeder distribution equipment.

Reply to
electrician

Thanks, but does it not say the minimum conductor size that can me tagged or taped?

Reply to
Robert Bodling

I don't see anything about size for the ungrounded conductors. In

200.6 for grounded and 250.119 for grounding conductors there is the normal dividing line where No. 6 and smaller generally are reuired to be identified by color, and No. 4 and larger can be taped or tagged. Apparently that type of permission was not added in the 2005 NEC for the ungrounded conductors in 210.4 and 215.12.. Also, these requirements are new to the 2005 NEC for ungrounded conductors. Any engineer worth his salt will specify that brown, orange, and yellow be used to identify 480/277 volt 3 phase ungrounded conductors and black, red, and blue be used for 208/120 volts, and that the smaller wire sizes be ordered in these colors while the larger sizes be phase taped. Many electricians will do this anyway and insist that it be a trade practice. Also, white is often used for the low voltage neutral and gray for the 480/277 volt neutral.
Reply to
electrician

Reply to
Long Ranger