Running Computers from Batteries/Generators?

Sometimes the power goes off here and I am wondering about running my PC/laptop, modem and router from batteries. Most of the UPS brands I've looked at only seem to supply power for less than an hour. So would I be better with an inverter? If so, do I really need a true/pure sine wave inverter or would a modified sine wave inverter do me?

Also - are so-called 'Inverter Generators' really worth the extra money?

Much obliged for any advice. TIA.

Reply to
Mark Stevens

Some UPS have very low voltage terminal allowing you to connect an external battery bank. This can be a good option if you only have outages very infrequently but they can last for several hours. Unless you make special arrangements, it can take many hours/days to recharge the batteries back to full charge.

An inverter with built-in charger typically charges at a much higher rate than a UPS - so can cope with frequent outages as it doesn't take many hours of mains power to get the batteries topped up again.

A generator is really only needed if you have outages where there won't be enough time to recharge a battery bank before the power goes off yet again.

Inverter generators are just one type of generator - they work by generating power at a much higher frequency than normal mains (which means the alternator can be much smaller), then converting the output to dc and then build a sine wave of the right frequency in the same way that a battery-driven inverter does. They also have the advantage that the engine can be throttled right back and run slowly when the load is low, so they use much less fuel on light loads.

Switch mode power supply units (SMPSU) will typically run fine off practically any waveform. Small transformers typically run fine off modified sine wave. Your PC/laptop almost certainly have SMPSU. The others kit may have SMPSU or small transformers, but in any event should be fine on modified sine wave.

So, basically the choice of what to go for depends on your type of outage.

Reply to
Palindr☻me

There was a guy in the home power group that posted a idea. He bought an sine wave inverter, 4 golf cart batteries a multistep charger and used the inverter all of the time to power his computer stuff. I liked the idea cause there is no switching to batteries. I do not have the room for that many batteries in my home but it might give you an thought for something else.

Reply to
SQLit

Thanks for sharing your expertise. I am very grateful.

Reply to
Mark Stevens

Some of us may have bad memories from using the old Apple Laser and Laser Plus Printer. That device had something like 7 internal power supplies and required "extra-virgin-pure sine wave" power to function properly. Even if your house wiring was good, the lights usually dimmed whenever a page was being printed.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber