Running PC on 240V 60Hz

I suspect the Germans are smart enough to know 'don't put your fingers in light bulb sockets', unlike too many Americans. :-)

Reply to
Michael Moroney

Also note that most American table lamps come with cords having non-polarized plugs. :-( But then, it's only half the voltage! :-)

Virg Wall

Reply to
VWWall

This applies in much of Europe. The French/Belgium plugs are not reversible in their sockets, but it is undefined which way round live and neutral are. Actually, in all double outlets and 2-way adaptors I've come across, the two outlets are internally hard-wired the opposite way round from each other, so it's not like there's even hint of a convention one way or the other.

In the UK, live and neutral are distinguished all the way into the appliance. Ironically, we use relatively few screw in light bulbs compared with rest of Europe (we're mostly bayonet cap B22d), but we do require the live/hot is connected to the centre/tip and neutral to the screw in the case of any screw lamp holders.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net schrieb:

Hello,

if it is a lamp connected with a Schucko plug, the screw could be connected to the hot wire. But we have special lamp sockets here with two contacts at the base and the screw of the socket is isolated from these contacts. When you touch only the screw of the socket with no bulb in it, you have no connection to the hot wire. If a bulb is screwed into the socket, the screw could be hot if the plug is inserted in one of the two possible positions. But it not possible to touch the screw when a bulb is in the socket.

Light bulbs on the ceiling should be connected with the hot wire to the central contact of the bulb socket.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

Michael Moroney schrieb:

Hello,

the safety regulations for electrical equipment used in Germany do not assume smart enough users. ;-)

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 13:11:47 +0100 Uwe Hercksen wrote: | | | Michael Moroney schrieb: |> |> I suspect the Germans are smart enough to know 'don't put your fingers in |> light bulb sockets', unlike too many Americans. :-)

| the safety regulations for electrical equipment used in Germany do not | assume smart enough users. ;-)

So you have light bulb sockets that fingers cannot get into?

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net schrieb:

Hello,

we have the small ones but also those big enough for fingers, but the finger must be fully inserted before a dangerous contact is possible.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

If I understand this situation correctly, you really need two 120 volt circuits, but what you have is one 240v available. And you don't want to spend much cash. I'm sure the ups system will be enough.

If it's like most office buildings that I've worked on it should be easy to pull another circuit from the panel. If it's a T-bar ceiling and the panel is on the same floor, it doesn't take much to pull a 3 wire BX and fish it down the wall. Outside walls can pose a problem for fishing wires, but interior walls are usually good. All you need is a reno box and use a split plug for both circuits. If the panel is full you can use the 2 circuits that the old A/C is on. You might want to change the breakers to 15 amps. If you're uncomfortable with working in a live panel while tying in your BX you might want to get an experienced electrician for that. Or wait until everyone goes home and see if theres a main breaker for that panel.

Reply to
Ron & Joan

Sorry, I just read (after sending the previous post) that it's in a house that doesn't want any changes done. I guess the above won't apply then.

Reply to
Ron & Joan

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 02:19:39 GMT Ron & Joan wrote: |> |> The reason I'm looking is that I have a situation where I need to run |> many |> |> computers in a room where I cannot add new wiring, but a 20 amp 240 |> volt |> |> outlet is available and live (formerly used for a window air condition |> I |> |> suspect, due to it's location about a foot to the left of under a |> window). |> |> 20 amps at 120 volts would not provide the capacity I need, but 20 amps |> |> at 240 volts I believe will. | | | If I understand this situation correctly, you really need two 120 volt | circuits, but what you have is one 240v available. And you don't want to | spend much cash. | I'm sure the ups system will be enough.

I need the power to handle about 12 computers. At least 8 of them will need to be on the UPS.

| If it's like most office buildings that I've worked on it should be easy to | pull another circuit from the panel.

It's not an office building. Pulling another circuit is not an option. The circuit can handle 20 amps. I don't know if the wiring is 300 or

600 volts, but either should do for 240 volts.

| If it's a T-bar ceiling and the panel is on the same floor, it doesn't take | much to pull a 3 wire BX and fish it down the wall.

Dry-wall.

| Outside walls can pose a problem for fishing wires, but interior walls are | usually good.

Pulling a new circuit is not an option. That's from the landlord. It's an older house, but it was rewire about 20 years ago and has grounded outlets everywhere. It just doesn't have enough circuits, except for the A/C ones. There were two breakers total for the upstairs, besides the A/C and range. That's not enough for the computers plus all the other living needs.

| All you need is a reno box and use a split plug for both circuits. | If the panel is full you can use the 2 circuits that the old A/C is on. You | might want to change the breakers to 15 amps.

It's a 20 amp breaker now. All that would need to be done is swap out for a 2-pole.

| If you're uncomfortable with working in a live panel while tying in your BX | you might want to get an experienced electrician for that.

I don't do things stupidly. I won't even allow an electrician to work on a live panel. The main breaker will be shut off when changing a branch breaker. I don't have a problem hiring an electrician to do it. Technically, since I don't own the property, I have to do it that way. I'm comfortable doing it myself if it comes to that (but again, I will cut off power).

| Or wait until everyone goes home and see if theres a main breaker for that | panel.

It's an upstairs half of a house a friend of my dad's has that she wants to rent. But she is not willing to rent to just anyone. But she also does not want me digging into any walls. The circuit is there. It still works. So why not use it. Actually there is one in both the larger bedroom (to be the computer room) and the living room. The smaller bedroom will be a bedroom.

Tell me your plan to get 3600 watts through 2 wires of #12 AWG.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam