Service Entrance Conductors

I have paid an electrician to wire my house in Ghana, Africa. The system there is 220-240Volts to ground at 50 Hz. He is telling me he will use THHN

16mm2 (#6 AWG) for the service entrance conductors. Its a 3 phase system at 200amp load center (main breaker). Is the wire size right for this system? I read NEC 2002 and it requires at least 2/0 copper for 200amp service. Any suggestions please?
Reply to
Kissi Asiedu

You are correct. Even that includes the "diversity" that one expects in a residence. For a non-dwelling installation you would need 3/0

Reply to
gfretwell

I have no clue if Ghana is as hot as Phoenix. We are required to install

4/0 copper for service entrance cables or 250 mcm AL. Check the temp derate chart below the table.

Ghana may not have a electric code nor any enforcement. Check other homes in the area and see what they installed. Sure is a lot of power for a residence.

Reply to
SQLit

In th UK, a 230V system, I would use a 95sqmm conductor for the phases.

Reply to
Stephen Dawson