square "D" 60 amp 2pole ground fault breaker

I found this breaker in a bin that I have been saving for that use that will never happen. Can I disregard the neutral application and use it as a normal breaker?

Reply to
electricdave

I found this breaker in a bin that I have been saving for that use that will never happen. Can I disregard the neutral application and use it as a normal breaker?

Reply to
electricdave

You can use it as a normal circuit breaker but it will always be a GFCI breaker. If you're supplying a 120/240 volt 3-wire load the neutral must be connected through the breaker. All line and neutral current must pass through the breaker or else the imbalance will cause a ground fault trip. The only time you might not connect the neutral would be if the load was

240 volt 2-wire with no neutral lead such as a motor.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Lamond

I do not think you should connect a motor to a gfci.....

Reply to
Phillip

Why not. If it trips a GFCI it is a bad motor. There are millions of motors in garages, spas, pools and boat lifts that work just fine on a GFCI.

Reply to
gfretwell