Signal Generator or PowerSupply

I am experimenting with low voltage transistor circuits. Some experiments call for adding a low voltage AC signal into the circuit. Where should this AC signal come from, power supply, signal generator or ??.

Do signal generators allow you to dial up both frequency and amplitude, for example 6V & 2K HZ? I am trying to figure out if I need to build another PS or get a signal generator? In the end I want to build a low power shortwave transmitter.

Sorry for a basic question but can't seem to find an answer on the web.

Thanks!

Reply to
Jim Douglas

Hi Jim,

A function generator will supply the necessary AC signals you require. You can adjust frequency, amplitude, and waveform type. An example of specifications for a function generator can be found at

There are many manufacturers. I don't know which is the best one though. If you can't afford to buy one and aren't able to borrow it from anyone, you could try building your own precision waveform generator using something like an XR-8038 chip. Although it might cost more to purchase a function generator, it's worth it if you'll be doing a lot of electronics work.

Regards,

Rahul Thadani

Reply to
Dynam

What is the signal generator for? Do you want to modulate with it or furnish a drive waveform. If the latter, I think your approach needs a bit of a rethink.

There are a number of good publications on SW transmitters that go into some detail on the construction of same. Email me if you require a list.

snipped-for-privacy@clara.co.uk

HN

Reply to
H. Neary.