source of 20 Amp extension cords with 5-20 receptacle?

Hi, I work in a physics lab at the University of Maryland. We have a piece of equipment that has a 5-20 plug and, according to the manual, draws up to the full 20 A. We need to move it a few feet, and will need an extension cord. Does anyone know of a good source for extension cords with 5-20 plugs and receptacles???

The only example I've found with Google is this:

... but it's only rated for 15 A apparently.

The only alternative I can think of is to buy a length of 125V/20A three-conductor cable and splice it onto the current power plug for the equipment. However I don't know how to safely splice such cable. Does anyone have any pointers on how to do this?

Thanks, Dan Lenski University of Maryland

Reply to
dlenski

I'm in the UK - but I would either be looking to replace the whole of the existing flex with a new one of appropriate length, or, better, moving or fitting a new power outlet closer to to the equipment.

YMMV

Reply to
Palindr☻me

Getting a new power outlet put in would be a real mess here, unfortunately. The facilities people sometimes take MONTHS to get around to these things.

I agree that replacing the whole cable would be ideal, but the coworker who's in charge of the equipment would prefer to try other options first.

Dan

Reply to
dlenski

You could buy some 12ga SJT and the ends.

Reply to
gfretwell

Hmmm... what is 12 gauge SJT?

Reply to
dlenski

Look for air conditioner extension cords in your local home despot or lowes or local home repair supply stores. Or you can donate a six pack or two of a frosty beverage of choice to your university electrical folks who could probably make one up from parts in the junk box in a couple of minutes. Late on a hot friday afternoon is probably a good time to visit with your donation.

--Dale

Reply to
Dale Farmer

12 ga is the size of the wire. SJT is the type of insulation and jscketing. SJ is junior service cord - a moderately heavy outside jacket around the conductors T means the insulation is made of thermoplastic

You could also use other 12 ga 3 conductor cords - outside diameter needs to fit the plug nad receptacle end.

An air conditioner extension, suggested by Dale, should be available in short lengths.

bud--

Reply to
Bud--