split load power supplies

Is it feasable to fit a standard consumer unit without an RCD section (i.e.
not split load) and still get approval from the niceic?
The regulations seem to state that an rcd must be used for hazardous
conditions - therefore is an rcd socket acceptable for outside works such as
lawn mower supply.
Reply to
Loading thread data ...
Although advisory, I cannot remember reading anything about RCDs being mandatory inside an installation where the earth fault loop impedance is low enough to guarentee disconnection of the supply within the allotted time (with the exception of TT (Earth rod) supplies which MUST have an RCD fitted at source). An RCD must be used for any equipment being used outside the equipotential zone (faraday cage) of the building i.e. lawnmowers. Although your NICIEC electrician should be able to advise you on the above, I would strongly advise fitting an RCD on all socket outlets, with an additional RCD plug for your lawnmower. (lives>£££s). Hope this helps, Paul F.
Reply to
As far as BS7671 is concerned... If you have outdoor socket outlets, then these need to be RCD protected at no more than 30mA. If indoor sockets are likely to be used for outdoor appliances (e.g. if you don't have outdoor sockets), then a common interpretation is that those likely to be so used (e.g. those on the ground floor) must be protected at no more than 30mA.
NICEIC sometimes have different requirements from BS7671.
I would agree with the suggestion of protecting most socket outlets, but I always provide a non-RCD protected circuit for things like fridge/freezer, central heating and any other frost protection, burglar alarm, and anything else you wouldn't want to trip off when you're away on vacation, and which does not itself present a significant risk of electric shock. This can be extended to non-portable appliances containing mineral insulated metal sheathed heating elements (such as washing/dishwashing machines, but not portable kettles.) In the case of a TT system where all outlets must be RCD protected, these can be protected by a dedicated 100mA RCD as the purpose is not to prevent electric shock.)
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.