Consumer/Distribution Board

Can anyone advise please?

I am currently looking to replace the old fuse box within my property with a new consumer unit but am getting slightly confused with the meaning of the terms "ways" and "modules".

In some cases the number of ways always refers to the exact number of MCBs you place within the unit, with the spaces for the mains switch and possible RCB taken into consideration. However in other cases it seems that the number of ways does not include any spaces required for mains switch or RCB, so you could end up with less space for MCBs than you require.

Can anyone advise me on weather there is an agreed system for this and explain what it is?

Regards

Graham K

Reply to
Graham Keeble

Maybe start out with what country your from? From your description your not from around here.

Reply to
SQLit

On 09/18/05 06:31 pm SQLit tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

He has a UK email address, so that's a start.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Yeah sorry I'm from UK, any ideas thanks?

Reply to
Graham Keeble

AFAIK, "modules" refer to DIN rails. Unless you need a DIN rail, eg for timers, power supplies, etc, you won't want a DIN rail box. So, if it mentions modules, you probably won't want it. You can get hybrid boards, if you just need a small DIN rail + MCBs.

"Ways" typically refer to available MCB ways. If the consumer unit already has an isolator/rcd fitted, it should be the number of MCBs you can add in addition. It only gets complicated if you want to add something other than MCBs - eg convert the unit for split load. A pre-configured split-load box will have two "ways" listed; one for each section. These ways are the number of MBCs that can be fitted in each section.

As you are buying new and not modding an existing system, the consumer unit will come with isolator/rcd fitted and the number of ways listed will be the number of MCBs you can fit. It will almost invariably be cheaper to get a pre-configured box - so you won't be adding anything other than MCBs. Remember to allow for some spare ways and remember that some units have far more space than others for cable management - which could be helpful, depending on which direction the cables are entering from.

Reply to
Palindr☻me

These are more specific groups for uk electrical house wiring. Jaymack

?f=8>

Reply to
John McLean