Branch & Lighting Circuits Calc.

Could anyone share an idea of how to calculate total cables needed for branch and lighting circuits. For example; how many 14/2, 12/2 romex etc. would one need for 3000 sq ft single level house. Or does anyone have recommendations as to how many feet one would need for such house?

Thanx

Reply to
Kissi Asiedu

Location of the service to the heavy loads would be necessary to start guessing at the footage needed for a given size of cable.

There is not a box answer each house is different, each region of the US is different. Where you live there might not be a/c unit.

I have special requirements for my garage and for my computer equipment, means more circuits.

You will have 20 or so cables at the service depending on the equipment

Reply to
SQLit

"Feet" is going to be hard unless we know the floor plan but circuits is a little easier. You need a minimum of 5 15a circuits for the general lighting load. Two twenty amp minimum for the small appliance loads in the kitchen plus any fixed in place equipment. 20a for the bathrooms and one 20 for the laundry. Then you need all the other fixed in place equipment.

Reply to
gfretwell

Assuming you are looking at doing this yourself, I am thinking the price break on a 1000' foot spool will play a large factor in it as well.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

your best bet is to get some help from someone who actually knows that can look at the plans for your house.

there are some calculations you have to do that are laid out in the nec that tell you the minimum number of circuits, but that is just a start. you would not want to have your single bathroom circuit trip because two people decided to turn on a hair dryer at the same time.

get some professional help, or you may well end up with a very expensive fix down the road.

Reply to
petersonra