How to move a barn!

How would you move a large barn? Check out these guys!

Phil Kangas

That's more impressive that weird trucks and hydraulic jacks.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

If you were going to do that and needed to know how many people you would need to lift it, how would you determine its weight?

You could measure its pieces & add it up. E.g., so many square feet of roofing shingles, of siding, of sheathing, linear feet of studs, of each different size beam, etc, etc.

But that's not clever enough by far. Let's see: you could put, say, 10 sheets of plywood under it, spaced around it, and air bags under the plywood. Then 17000/(10 * 32 sq ft * 144 sq in/sq ft) = .37 psi. Measure the psi in each bag & add it up. But that's a lot of air bags (expensive). And each sheet of plywood would have to support 1700 lbs, which probably means a need for stiffening structure.

You could use 1 sheet of plywood & 1 air bag and move them around, but how would you know when the air pressure is enough, but not too much?

Load cells? Expensive.

What else? A really long, really stiff lever, and a pivot to put it on.

????

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

That is downright inspiring!

17,000 lb, 334 lifters = less than 50 lb per lifter on average. Gives real meaning to the old saw "many hands make light work".
Reply to
Don Foreman

If a man can build a garage in 60 days, can 60 men build a garage in a day? ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

If it takes one man 60 days to build a garage, he needs some remedial construction classes. Building an average two car free standing garage solo should not take more than a week of full days of work.

Reply to
Pete C.

And put 9 women at it and have a baby in one month.

Lets see that guy do it with a "PA bank barn". :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

All I get is a black screen with a small pattern in the center like it's loading. Tried it umpteen times.

SteveB

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Download the book $10

Steve B

Okay, seven then. Can seven men throw one up in a day?

Hmm. They probably could. ;-)

Maybe this is a bad example anyway - it comes from the phenomenon of throwing programmers at a problem to try to get it solved quicker - "You can't get a baby in a month by impregnating nine women!"

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Rich Grise fired this volley in news:il10k1 $p8h$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Not to beat a silly horse, but the Amish can put up a barn of arbitrary size in a day. It has to do more with available hands and organization of labor than with the specific workload.

And, for what it's worth, they call it "a frolic".

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Well, you do increase your odds of getting a baby under construction by a factor of 9X...

Reply to
Pete C.

Gives new meaning to the term, "raise the roof!" ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I know someone who wanted a cardigan quickly, he farmed out various bits of knitting out to various females and got one to put it all together.(it worked sort of).

Reply to
F Murtz

If 24 guys poured the slab, would it reach full cure strength in a day?

Reply to
Don Foreman

No, but it only takes a couple days to reach sufficient strength to continue construction. This is a garage we're talking about, not a skyscraper, so 28 day compressive strength is not an issue. While the slab is curing, it is entirely possible to continue framing out the walls of such a garage so that can be tipped up and secured when the concrete has sufficiently set. A week is very feasible.

Reply to
Pete C.

Reminds me of that episode of "Becker," where the Margaret shows up wearing a thing knitted by her drunkard husband - Linda remarked (on the phone to her friend) "it looks like somebody ate a box of crayons and threw up a sweater!"

;-) Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

OK, I've got it. If one man can dig a 6 foot hole in a day, could

1,000 men working together dig a 6,000 foot hole in a day? ;-D

(or at all?)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

That reminded me of the Eyetalyun ho joke.

--snip-- Three nuns die and go to heaven. They are met at the pearly gates by St. Peter, who tells them they led such good lives they will be permitted to return to earth as anyone they want.

The first nun thinks it over and says "I'd like to return as Sophia Loren."

St. Peter says "Fine, you can return as Sophia Loren."

The second nun thinks and says "I'd like to be Gina Lollobrigida."

St. Peter says "No problem, you can return as Gina Lollobrigida."

The third nun says "I think I'd like to be Virginia Pipeline." (pronounce it "PippaLini")

St. Peter says, "Hmmm, I don't think I know of anyone named Virginia Pipeline?"

At which point the third nun shows him the headline from the morning paper: "Virginia Pipeline Laid by 2500 Men"

--snip--

-- Life is full of obstacle illusions. -- Grant Frazier

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"Larry Jaques"

ooohh, good one... heh heh... talk about frustration caused by deprivation.... ;>)}

Reply to
Phil Kangas