Should I move to Idaho?

California is dying as an industrial power. It at one time was the 7th largest economy in the world. No longer. Its the #3 hardest hit state
in the looming Great Depression Part Deux, only behind Michigan with its Rust Belt.
And Im not getting any work in my current trade, machine tool repair.
So Ive been looking around a bit at other states for employment..and Id like to ask you folks for your input.
Some prelims...
Im 56yrs old, had some medical issues, now largely resolved.
Im tecnically oriented and can troubleshoot electrionics at assembly level, machine, lathe and mill, can fix complex mechanical assemblies, can weld, do woodworking, gunsmithing, can do commecial and industrial electricial. Ive worked as a lumberjack, oil field roughneck etc etc etc.
Frankly...there isnt much that I cant do. I detest retail work, paper work, suit and tie work. Im honest, motivated, self starter, experinced in job requirements and meeting them. I deal well with others and can supervise others well. However..Ive spent my life working as an individual technician and dont fit well in a herd. Shrug. Im good at what I do..far too many out there simply sucking on the paycheck.
Give me a task, tell me where the parts are..and go away. Ill finish the job and ask for another.
So anyways..Ive been considering moving out of California..after being here for 30+ yrs.
Idaho is simply one of the states Im considering but the one Im focused on at the moment.
If anyone has suggestions for other states..feel free to toss em in..Id be happy to look at them.
I figure Im good for another 15-20 yrs working. Shrug
So anyone have any good or bad things to say about Idaho? Its economy, chances for growth and employment and so forth.
Im interested in perhaps moving out of California...heading anyplace that I can prosper enough to keep myself and my family alive and eating regularly.
Anyone?
Im not moving tommorow, next week or next month. Next year...shrug...gotta have someplace to go, before figuring out how to get there.
Gunner
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 17:03:19 -0800, Gunner Asch
some nice Aryan Nations compounds in northern Idaho that should make you feel right at home.

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 01:10:13 GMT, hal wrote:

You know, I didn't think of that. I've heard that there is a nice Klan compound near where he lives now. Perhaps they can provide references.
<hal> wrote in message wrote:

hal wrote:

That got sued out of existence by the Keenans, backed by the SPLC, in 2000. It's a peace park now.

So Idaho is out ....
--
Cliff

I got out of a city 25 years ago, but I won't let the liberals chase me out of the state. I understand that many in other states don't like Californians, but the ones they meet are quitters. We don't need them here either.
--
Stupendous Man,

I live 90 miles north of Los Angeles in a nice rural Red county. In the middle of old oil fields and ag.
And the average wage here is something like $11 an hour..with Californias huge debt load.
I simply work in the metro LA area...
Gunner
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 23:57:01 -0800, Gunner Asch

you commute into LA every day and you call yourself a survivalist?

The rethugs & the US Chamber of Commerce say you are overpaid & to blame for the problems.
--
Cliff

http://www.confusereviews.com/?p
(updated take on "goofus and gallant")
i happened across this. laughed out loud. thought of this discussion group. it's sick but funny.
b.w.
I found this hysterical. Thanks for sharing.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

You just listed a whole bunch of excuses about why you couldn't take a job offer from your friend Tom a couple of days ago. One of them was that you had too many things holding you to California. What happened in two days to change that?
Stay out of Idaho. There are good decent people in Idaho and they don't deserve it.
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 20:12:31 -0500, Deucalion wrote:

Dangit, I was going to suggest Texas on the grounds that it's further from Oregon, but there's decent people there, too.
I hear that Iran is pretty conservative these days. Anyone who criticizes G.W. as a "western liberal" should be just Gunner's cup of tea.
Wait -- there's some decent people in Iran, too.
--
www.wescottdesign.com

Gunner Asch wrote:

Texas. It's a natural fit.

That it is.
"The Patch" is still active, small entrepreneurs are opening machine shops and companies that use machinery, etc.
Local regs may require a Master Electrician's cert for wiring, though...
BTW, NO State Income Tax and it's a Right To Work state! <grin>
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 22:21:49 -0600, "RAM"

Texas would be OK if it wasn't full of Texans.
Do you know how they bury Texans? They let out all the hot air and bullshit and put them in a shoebox.
<hal> wrote in message

One question .......... have you ever lived in Texas?
Steve
Steve B wrote:

Of course not...
Steve B wrote:

I have. Hal's characterization is accurate, and Texas is a proper place for gummer.