Should I move to Idaho?

I don't know jack about Idaho, but perhaps your focus should be on what rather than where.

You can do commercial and industrial electrical, but only as a scab and that can be hard work even when scab work is available. It obviously isn't. If you can repair complex mechanical assemblies, you've opted not to fix your own truck so that obviously doesn't appeal to you. You may be able to troubleshoot electronics, but I rather doubt that you can do it better than zit-faced eager hungry young techs with recent training, young families, strong motivation and willingness to tolerate whatever crap they must for a paycheck. You ain't gonna be a lumberjack or oilfield roughneck at age 60 and beyond.

Your most consistent interest and passion has to do with guns. If you're really serious about a new course, I'd say build on that. You know guns and their use, you can respect people who respect guns, and you have at least rudimentary skills in machining and smithing. The people most likely to be tolerant of your idiosyncrasies are those who appreciate and covet fine firearms and will pay handsomely to have them made for them. There are people with money to spend even in recessions. Hell, you know how nuts sales of AR-15's has been since the election, even in a down economy.

A few men with modest lathes, some tooling and considerable skills who can craft rifles that win BR matches and/or craft pistols that are exquisite in design and function have far more work than they can do even in the present economy and perhaps especially at present. They can live where ever they want and most do live in rural to remote locales. Age doesn't matter, nor does physical frailty that inevitably accompanies advancing age. You say you're good for another

15 to 20 and maybe you are, but I'll note that being 68 is definitely different from being 56. YMMV.
Reply to
Don Foreman

Smack in the middle of the Rust Belt? Tell me why.

Gunner, raised in the UP and in Grayling, Michigan.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I have. Hal's characterization is accurate, and Texas is a proper place for gummer.

Reply to
Beryl

I live 90 miles north of Los Angeles in a nice rural Red county. In the middle of old oil fields and ag.

And the average wage here is something like $11 an hour..with Californias huge debt load.

I simply work in the metro LA area...

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

During the mid 70s..I worked for Bendix Geophysical in McAllen, Pharr (SP) and across the border in Matamoros etc for Pemex

It was a nice state, but I generally only worked there in the winters.

How is the humitity in most of the state..or is as you say..three different areas and 3 different humidities?

I live in the High Desert...3-18% humidity most of the time in the summer, winter ..well..we often have tule fog..but its not 120F either in the winter

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Ok..why?

Gunner, originally a Michigan native.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Thats sounds cool..but does it pay the bills?

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I j want to make enough that when I die..there is enough left to put me in the crematorium and box up my ashes.

And have some fun between now and then..which will be 30 or more years from now.

Shrug...I dont care about being rich..but trying to figure out how to pay the power bill and the water bill next week really sucks.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I'd second that! Add to that a FFL and deal arms on the net. That's how I've purchased a few and I'm happy with the transactions.

Reply to
Buerste

Good post indeed.

Though I should mention that only on paper am Im 56..I still run the tails of most kids. But yes..in only a few years...Im going to start slowing down.

it should be noted that the majority of electricians in california are NOT union. Union electricians are actually a very small minority. Just a heads up.

As for not fixing my truck...its not because I cant..its because I hate working on vehicles. Shrug. I work on complex mechanical stuff all day long fixing machine tools and CNC machine tools. A great deal of which is far far more complex than an engine. And one seldom smashes ones fingers, has to lay down on ones back under a machine and so forth.

California however..really isnt a good place for gunsmiths. We cant even buy AR-15s here..shrug. There used to be quite a number of them...one per town..and now they are all dead and gone..and no one is interested enough in replacing them.

I do my own gunsmithing. Have for years. Built a number of arms from scratch, upgraded/converted many more.

I suppose I could look into doing it for others..but in my area..there are about 5 smiths..and thats about all that they really need. And while I do my own stock work..few people ..at least here...can afford to have stock work done other than doing it themselves.

Now I do have a couple CNC lathes..and have been pondering what sort of gun related Stuff I could make and sell...ebay has a number of machine shops selling gun Stuff ...some reasonable..some very expensive. Im seeing less and less of them however. That $75 hr machine time tends to eat up profits for a shop, even if its side work. I can, of course..do it a hell of a lot cheaper..working out of ones home is far cheaper.

Got any good suggestions as to products I could make and sell that way?

As for ideosyncrisies... my Newsgroup persona may or may not match my Real World persona....

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

You think that Marx's charectorization of Capitalists is accurate too.

Laugh laugh laugh

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Bear in mind..that I live in California. The state that has its own permanant Assault weapons ban..and the state that most ads on the gun auction websites specifically state they wont ship to.

Shrug

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

After they let the hot air and bullshit out of you, you'll fit in a thimble with enough room left over for 1000 lawyer hearts.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

you commute into LA every day and you call yourself a survivalist?

Reply to
hal

Then you're only a 3 hour drive away, lol...but you know what the humidity is like here sometimes..

Reply to
Rick

Ooie, ouch. Gee. It's like being in grade school again.

Reply to
hal

There's evidence that your biggest admirer clhuprich does or did live there.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

But you are thinking of fixing that.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Based on many of your posts here, you're clearly exaggerating your experience and skill.

Except for easy mechanical stuff, eh? Like figuring out if an engine problem is fuel or spark...

Nobody with those attributes ends up with a record like this one

On what planet does fantasizing about "the great cull" count as dealing well with others?

Here's a job hunting tip - don't criticize others right after you've talked about how well you get along with everybody.

Nope. Leave you alone and you'll skulk off to the nearest computer. If not for your kind of slacking, punch clocks would never have been invented, and drill-sergeant supervisors would be jobless.

Bailiff closing in? About f*&king time!

Nigeria

Remember after your first heart event, you said you were good to go? Then came rounds 2 and 3. Take a hint from that: don't ever get too far from an emergency room.

If you were serious about moving, you'd be working towards that. Instead you posted 900 times last week to one newsgroup alone, and probably as much again to all the others. Now you're going to write a few hundred more about a fantasy move? Hilarious.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjkREMOVE

If so, not for more than a few weeks. We run his type off pretty quick.

Reply to
RBnDFW