Should I move to Idaho?

Some specific information that may be of interest....

Latest news from the Sacramento Bee [major newspaper of California state capital] indicates it is time to *RUN* not walk to the nearest exit. While it may be traditional for the captain to go down with the ship, there appears to be no reason for the citizens to go down also.

Walters: California debt may be half a trillion dollars:

Conservatively, then, California is probably more than $600 billion in debt. Perhaps we shouldn't sweat another $11.1 billion. Or perhaps it will be the straw that breaks our back.

-------------- [FYI -- 11.1 billion$US is for proposed bond for huge water project]

This appears to be another case that California is unique only in that it is first. Many other states such as Illinois, NY, NJ and Rhode Island appear to be in lock step behind California as it goes over the financial cliff. Thus it would seem prudent to check any prospective states financial status.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

OK, I see what is the issue now. Not being a veteran of anything, it is not an issue that bothers me personally, but if it did, I would ask to see some paperwork if I was in doubt. I thought that there was some computerized way to check if someone was a veteran. I recall an article about fake Navy Seals, and how easy it is to look up.

Ignoramus10200

Actually, they haven't, but don't let the facts get in your way.

Reply to
ATP*

LMAO Wes,

You have confused Ron Paul with Dipshit Coburn.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Perhaps not you personally, but the majority of the voting citizens are getting exactly what they voted for.

Reply to
robert bowman

Really?

Can you provide cites for that denial of yours?

Ill be waiting with bated breath.

Here...let me help you... Ill provide one example of how to do it..go ahead and finish it for all the readers.....snicker.....

Illinois

NY

NJ

Rhode Island

Oh..I should mention....

City, State, % of People Below the Poverty Level (pop. 250,000+) (U.S. Census Bureau, 2006 American Community Survey, August 2007)

  1. Detroit , MI 32.5% 2. Buffalo , NY 29.9% 3. Cincinnati , OH 27.8% 4. Cleveland , OH 27.0% 5. Miami , FL 26.9% 6. St. Louis , MO 26.8% 7. El Paso , TX 26.4% 8. Milwaukee , WI 26.2% 9. Philadelphia , PA 25.1% 10. Newark , NJ 24.2%

Democrat Party Rule in these Cities

  1. Detroit, MI hasn?t elected a Republican mayor since 1961 2. Buffalo, NY hasn?t elected one since 1954 3. Cincinnati, OH ?since 1984 4. Cleveland, OH ?since 1989 5. Miami, FL has never had a Republican mayor 6. St. Louis, MO ?.since 1949 7. El Paso, TX has never had a Republican mayor 8. Milwaukee, WI ?since 1908 9. Philadelphia, PA ?since 1952 10. Newark, NJ ?since 1907

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Not sure what low-income cities have to do with NJ and NY, which also have some of the nation's richest zip codes. Pataki, Giuliani, Bloomberg, Whitman, and now Christie- not Democrats. If Blinkie is nominated by the Dems to run next term, NY will have a Repub governor as well. Except for the first five months of 2009, the State Senate has been in Republican hands for decades.

ATP*

No Democrat had won the presidential vote in NJ between 1964 and 1992. We had Republican governors for 16 of 20 recent years -- from 1982 - 1990 and from 1994 - 2002. We just elected another one.

Our state General Assembly has been dominated by Republicans from 1992 to

2002; our State Senate has been dominated by Republicans for roughly the same period.

What was that you were saying?

Reply to
Ed Huntress

============= Another explication is simply the age of the governmental unit.

It appears that the older and more established/entrenched a governmental unit is, the more corrupt it becomes, as more and more people learn how to "game" the system.

FWIW -- this does not seem to be limited to government, e.g. General Motors.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Please do not confuse RINO [republican in name only] with Republican as exemplified by Taft and Goldwater.

Even if the RINOs are elected, the programs and trends will not change, and it is not at all certain the programs and trends CAN BE CHANGED before major problems occur, much like an addict must frequently "hit bottom" before you can get them into rehab.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Odd how you make the Governor the sole governmental body in one paragraph..and in the other..you claim the Democrats are.

And I notice you ignored the other states. Why was that?

Snicker

Gunner

Gunner Asch

You're not making any sense. NY and NJ haven't been under Democratic control for decades. That's a fact.

Because I'm more familiar with NY and NJ.

Reply to
ATP*

Rockefeller Republican? I had the misfortune of living on Hudson Avenue during the initial construction of the South Mall, aka the Nelson A. Rockefeller Empire State Plaza. Many unkind things have been said about it, especially The Egg, but my chief objection was they were going at it hammer and tongs seven days a week and ruining my Saturday sleep in program.

Reply to
robert bowman

It appears that you are familiar with Neither.

Assembly Democrats expect to retain majority control after November election By Chris Megerian/Statehouse Bureau October 26, 2009, 6:00AM

TRENTON -- As the nail-biting governor?s race consumes just about all of the political oxygen this campaign season, there?s a quieter battle being waged for the 80-seat state Assembly, where Democrats are confident they will continue nearly a decade of dominance.

Snicker..what are you...brain damaged?????

Of course you are..you are a Leftist.

I tend to forget that..as I seldom run into your kind in the real world.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 16:04:30 -0600, Ignoramus10200 wrote:

I'd be surprised if that was true unless Seals are a special case, but go for it if it interests you. Please share what you discover if you care to explore. Hacking gummint databases is far beyond my cyber skill level.

Even if individual 201 files are accessable to the public or to the artful hacker, they may be less informative than some might imagine. For example, my DD-214 lists unit assignments but no locations. Unit locations during wartime were often classified. My DD-214 cites that I entered at Fort Belvoir VA and was was discharged at Ft. Lewis WN, no mention of where I might have been between entry and discharge. 201 files are not classified so classified activities and assignments are not recorded in them. (Well duh!) Beyond that, assignment to a unit doesn't necessarily infer constant co-location with that unit's HQ. I was often not co-located with my unit's HQ. Beyond that, TDY assignments are about invisible unless one could hack the pay records, but even then all the pay records would reveal is a TDY assignment with no further detail. Pay records would indicate combat pay but I don't think pay records were included in 201 files. Decorations certainly would be included. DD-214 does list unit assignments so it may be possible to reconstruct location if now-declassified unit history can be found. For example:

I was S-3 of the 35th engr bn for a little while. Operations officer, kingpin of a combat engr bn. Major's billet but they were a bit short of majors at the time so this pissant snot-nosed high-talent silverbar got stuck with the job. Purely pissed off the company commanders (captains) who outranked me because I defined their mission assignments and made it stick. I shall never forget the able assistance of the redoubtable MSG Richey. Make no mistake, NCO's run the Army. MSG Richey purely loved it when I got my daily ass-chewing from the puckerass pencil-necked ring-knocker (West Point) Colonel who enjoyed taking credit for our results while deploring my methods. MSG Richey had worked in the ops shop for years but had never served under an S-3 who got his ass chewed like clockwork at 1600 every freakin' day while somehow continuing to get more responsibility for running the freakin' battalion. We did have some fun adventures. Hint: a combat engr bn has a lovely stash of high explosives and I was quite good with demo. Missions from Generals dont usually specify method, only desired outcome. Oh yeah! Generals seem to understand that ya can't make an omlette without breaking some eggs.

MSG Richey did know how to get 'er done quietly but effectively. He could kick and lick any E-8 first sergeant in the battalion in less than a minute. Candy asses don't get to be first sergeants, but MSG Richey was not exactly a politically-correct fragile flower.

He wasn't a bit reluctant to get 'er done and never had any complaints lodged against him. I was very glad he liked me because he was a huge help to me in getting our job done. Get the 1Sgt's in line, they'll lead their captains. Make no mistake, sergeants run the army.

Reply to
Don Foreman

In the real world, will you be running your survivalist generator to post from usenet if they shut your power off?

Reply to
ATP*

Since the end of February 2008 in the UK, it is an offence for _any_ employer to employ _any_ new employee without seeing and keeping copies of specified documents that prove the employee's right to work in the UK.

Don't know what the long term effect is going to be, but it's certainly being applied by honest employers.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

That DD-214 is what I would check if I was interested. You may or may not learn enough from it and from whether it exists at all. It is not really my cup of tea and not really something that I would like to pursue.

Ignoramus2298

Pew Center report

Lots of states in big trouble as the other article mentioned, so escaping isn't necessarily the solution. Have you heard the one about the grass always looking greener on the other side? :-)

AZ is right behind CA in the rankings. And yet I know of two places here in need of a genuine all-round hand right now. One includes decent housing. Modest pay and reasonable potential in both cases for the right person. Low cost of living area. But neither place would hire a deadbeat, which is something that won't change even if the economy improves.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjkREMOVE