Should I move to Idaho?

Stay 100 miles West of Fort Worth (along a line North to South) and the humidity is more arid. Trouble is, the arid parts of the state are also the most boring, with the possible exception of the Big Bend area

Reply to
RBnDFW

No, he can't. He doesn't know watts from watermelon. Nor can he do high-school level mechanical diagnostics either, as evidenced by his failure to figure out if a vehicle problem is fuel or ignition.

Some good advice there. But you overlooked a couple of major points.

  1. People who've proven that they're happy with a subsistence lifestyle for decades, and who can't do a simple responsible thing like making their property taxes a priority over smoking, aren't really capable of starting over and doing it right. 2. Gummer's background wouldn't pass muster with any serious review. Employers are in a buyer's market, there's no reason to reach very low in the barrel of applicants. The places I can envision him getting a job - wrecking yard, muffler repair shop, etc. But he wouldn't last a week.

Face it - Gummer's had a tough row to hoe for as long as he's been posting here. His response, as always, is more posting. 900 times last week to this newsgroup alone. You're dreaming if you expect anything other than more of the same.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjkREMOVE

Definitely Texas, probably west or north west to get some semi familiar terrain and climate. Certainly the economy in Texas is doing better than most of the country. No state income tax, relatively low cost of living especially out of the metro areas, etc. And most importantly, you have a bunch of RCMers in TX ready to help you unpack all your machines when you move.

Reply to
Pete C.

In other words, great place for a bigoted asshole like yourself.

Reply to
rangerssuck

Yet, you still have enough money to pay for car repairs you could have done yourself, but didn't feel like doing, and to pay for internet access so you can spew bullshit.

Reply to
rangerssuck

If that is Hal's idea of Texans, then I think he would be maladjusted anywhere he lived. I've lived in a lot of places, and not found one state yet that didn't have a lot of good people mixed in. It's where YOU live that matters, and that's inside your head. Or I could be wrong, and there's something wrong with everybody ELSE.

And I am referring to YOU plural, and not you individually.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Gunner Asch" wrote > How is the humitity in most of the state..or is as you say..three

I'd say that it comes in three degrees, coastal, hill country, and west Texas. The two closer to the coast are more humid, but the west Texas areas are a little drier, and have harsher winters. I like the central Texas hill country myself, and Austin is rockin' right now financially. If you go there, let me know, I have some advertising ties. Oilfield is all over Texas, so unless you are in the hotshot service business and need to be closer to the coast, you could live anywhere in the state.

Take a vacation and look at it. You've seen McAllen area, and that is transitional into the deserts of Mexico.

You might also look at Lafayette, Louisiana, as there is a lot of oil business there, but also competition. Terribly humid, but very cool place culturally, the food is fantastic, the people are a hoot, and you can't beat the fishing and hunting. Close enough to service the whole Gulf Coast. I lived there about eight years, and loved it.

Just some thoughts.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Hmmmmmm. Going to Texas and going into the gun business? Sounds like $$$ to me.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I've always wondered about this.

I've met several transplanted Texans in California and the vast majority of them seemed to be jerks. Later, I spent considerable time in the Dallas/ Fort Worth area on business and had never met such a nice bunch of people. What's up with that? Does Texas export their jerks to California?

Reply to
Jim Stewart

That might be why fine custom firearms come from places other than California. Other difficult venues for such activity might be New York City, New Jersey, Washington DC and Chicago. So what?

Reply to
Don Foreman

Good grief dude, you aren=92t really trying to pass off this resume on people that know you are you?

Just how long has it been since you put in a 40 hour week for 8 weeks in a row? You do realize that jobs require 40 hours weeks every week every month until you quit or are fired. I expect that it has been years since you put in even two 40 hour weeks in a row.

The entire nation is loosing jobs, and you want to move to a place where you have to pay rent and then find a job that will not peter out on you in a month or so? Good luck with that.

Did you ever look at doing peace work in your machine shop? Putting adds on crags list looking for contracts in areas that you say you can work? Not just locally, but nationally, considering that you can ship the end result just like everyone else does. Look at advertising gun smiting, computer repair (you say you can do board level repair so computer repair should be a snap), machining peace rate, construction remodeling contracts, electrician contacts (even as a helper subcontracting to a licensed electrician), ect.

None of the burger places hiring? They would keep your electric on. What happened to your survival stash? I lasted 2 years on mine, while applying for disability. You dieing off already?

The oil field is always hiring deck hands.

Oklahoma is one of the best spots in the nation job wise, with Tulsa and Oklahoma City being on all the good lists. In Tulsa the place that make toilet paper is always hiring night shift fork lift drivers. Pays $8 a hour on a 40 hour week and requires you to work 15 minutes each morning and 30 minutes each evening off the clock in addition to the paid 40 hour week. All the temp places are hiring with a average of $8 a hour for what normally paid $15 a hour when things was good, back before Bush.

The factory across the road from my families farm commonly hires people with your skills, that can fix machine shops. They pay $10 a hour and require you to work a 40 hour week, every week, building pallets and shipping parts all day long if no machine needs fixed.

Reply to
CanopyCo

No worries there, considering that he hasn=92t paid taxes in years. SS benefits are based on taxable income, mostly in the last 15 years.

Reply to
CanopyCo

Not knowing too much, I would expect Idaho to be much worse in terms of social assistance available, relevant jobs, relevant service opportunities, and machine deals, compared to where Gunner is right now.

Being poor, or pre-retirement age, and with health issues, amount of social assistance is in fact very important.

As far as guns are concerned, everything I have seen about that industry suggests to me that it is hard to make a good living by doing full time gunsmithing.

If I were you, I would sell half of your Stuff at firesale prices as a first step to recovery.

Ignoramus20054

Ignoramus20054 wrote in news:YrGdnWJgkbqDHpDWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

It's obvious, Iggy, that you've never been to Texas - otherwise you'd never have made such a rediculous comment.

Even the Urbanites love their customized shootin' irons and, with one hunting season or another open almost at any time, they enjoy shootin'them.

Out in the boonies people tend to do even more shooting - with everything from .17 to .50 in rifled arms and from .410 to 10ga Magnums (especially during dove, goose, & duck seasons).

Reply to
RAM³

Yes, people love customizing guns, but gunsmithing is a competitive business.

The gunsmiths who I have seen in Illinois were rather poor. (I have seen two)

Ignoramus20054

By "scab" I meant unlicensed rather than non-union. In MN, electrical work for others must be done by a licensed electrician. Perhaps it's different in CA. That's not to say that plenty of illegal work isn't done, just as many domestic and agri jobs are done by illegals.

What I said: you opted not to fix the truck. I don't wrench on vehicles anymore either. But ability to do something is of no value if you won't do it.

If you don't really intend to leave CA then my entire note is irrelevant -- as is this entire thread.

There are smiths with 6-month backlogs of work in some parts of the country. These are guys with reputations for good work and fair prices. Not low prices, fair prices for value received. One such is a guy in his late '70's in Elbow Lake, MN.

Suggesting that your claim of being honest may or may not be true?

Reply to
Don Foreman

Read your subject line, please.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I have no expectation one way or the other. I don't even give a damn whether or not Gunner pays his taxes. I merely observe that he has skills that are quite marketable and in demand right now and are sustainable well past usual retirement age. Getting an FFL would be obligatory. Finding work and establishing a reputation and growing clientele outside of and well beyond CA would be the challenge.

I'll defer to you and others to judge and condemn.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Ignoramus20054 wrote in news:VvadncSM8LSuFpDWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

That's a big part of your problem, Iggy - living in an annually frozen wasteland with little more than a few birds to shoot and a deer season that's over before most people can even get started good.

While I'll agree that the best "hunting" is in the Cities, most gang members go for quantity (rounds-per-minute) over quality and the politicians (and their badge-toting toadies) stay behind thick walls while ignoring the illegal hunting as they try desperately to eliminate legal hunting,

Try spending a small amount of time (5-10 years) West of the Big Muddy and you'll be able to count a large number of Gunsmiths as personal friends - friends who often specialize but can turn out works of art when the money is right.

Reply to
Eregon

As if that is worse than sucking on the government teat that Gummer abuses the working poor for.

Reply to
Curly Surmudgeon