Power hammer - a little one this time

Hey!

I have posted another vid.

I just can't stop.

Check it out. I guess I should tell you all that it is going for sale and that I want smiths to have a crack at it. I feel the need now so that I can get picked on again. I feel like George Bush providing the world with all sorts of material to rip on me with.

Oh well. At least this time I didn't skip the piece out of the dies by hitting to hard.

Enjoy and feel free to comment/bust on me or the vid ;)

Andrew Molinaro

Reply to
Andrew Molinaro

Maybe you and your camera person have misssed your calling. I normally don't like that kind of music, but it works real well with the forging.

Just got back from the Northern Minnesota Blacksmith's Conference in the Bemidji, Mn area. They (781) announced that there was a 25# Little Giant for sale in the vacinity for $1250. No details.

I wish I had all that room in MY shop to wander around in!

Is that the kind of input you wanted?

Pete Stanaitis

----------------------------

Andrew Mol> Hey!

Reply to
spaco

Spaco, That music is our shop stereo. I would go nuts working all day with nothing but hammering to listen to.

$1250 is cheap for a 25. Nab it if it works. One thta looked like crap and was obviously frozen just went for $3000 on ebay. They are great hammers and there seem to be fewer than there used to be.

Don't envy the shop too much. It's exspenive and we have a bit too much space right now. I don't want to move though cause when we get busy it can bee a real boon. Also the PABA guys would be pissed if they had less space at the next hammer in :)

To answer your last question....I wish more people would talk about smithing. A few posts back a guy asked about getting paint off a post vice. I am glad that folks wrote back to help him out but there were like 15 replies. It seems that if you ask a question about smithing I get one or two replies back. I don't understand it.

Hope you had fun at the conference. Abana nixed the NY one for 2008. Grrr. I guess some guys are trying to make one happen anyway. I will be in on that once I get the time to help. Wish me luck.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Molinaro

Chilla,

Soooo, the first power hammer I trained on was made from the brake drum of a volkswagon and an eye beam. Remarkeably it had about the same action and response as the hammer in this video. It looked like hell but still saved my arms. Now I can rest easy that I have given you all sorts of evil ideas..........evil laugh.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Molinaro

Heh! Next time you do one, could you show the Little Giant mechanism at work? I've never seen one in person and would love to know how the mechanism works.

John

Reply to
Neon John

Tie a 3/4 inch nut in the middle of a rubber band. Stick the rubber band over two fingers, or your finger and thumb. Or two thumbs. Shake your hand(s) up and down to get the nut swinging up and down, stretching the rubber band at each end of the motion.

That pretty much covers it.

When the treadle is depressed, it engages the clutch. The shaft turns the crank. The crank pushes and pulls on the spring loaded arms, and thus the hammer.

When all is as it should be, the hammer will be swung up and down with the force of the springs adding in to the throw of the crank.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

A picture is worth a thousand words and some times you can talk all day and not get your point across. Had discussions about a treadle hammer with a coworker. I never really did get it till I saw it. Now I could pretty much build one from memory.

Hey Andrew from the video "Haven't made one of these in about 7 years"... It was cool lookin' but what exactly was it supposed to do?

GA

Reply to
Kyle J.

This hammer is not mine and I have no financial gain in its sale. I just now the guy selling it. Actually the hammer for sale is a 50# little giant. It is located in Southern Minnesota, USA $1250 He had it running in his shop but replaced it with another hammer. It has a motor mounted on the side of the hammer and was using it occasionally. His main product is found art sculpture from the junk yard. If interested I will private email his number.

Reply to
781

Kyle,

A shutter dog is used to hold shutters open on a house. The scrolled end is basically the handle. The other end holds the opened shutter against the side of the house. The center bit gets a hole drilled and accepts a long bolt that is screwed into the house and the dog spins around to move out of the way when the storms are a comin and you need to close the shutter. I used to make these a lot more befrome folks replaced all their wooden shutters with faux vinyl clad crap shutters. This has definitely been relegated to the historical restoration market. Check out this page

Look at the English Rat Tail dog a bit down the page. The ones on this page are stamped and scrolled or cast. Either way not nearly as cool as the froged version.

Blacksmithing is so cool!

Andrew Mol>>> >>>>Hey!

Reply to
Andrew Molinaro

Interesting. Being a native of California, I don't think I've ever seen a shutter that was more than an affectation on the house. Learn something new every day :-)

GA

Reply to
Kyle J.

This sounds similar to some cupboard door and box latches. Such a dog might also be useful on a trailer, with folding board covers such as for demos or flea market days. You might use a dog many places you now use a hook-and-eye.

I think the crudest version of a shutter dog I have seen is a nail driven next to a cupboard door, and bent over to bind the door shut, and rotated out to let the door open. Simple operation, not very classy.

Reply to
BradK