anyone have a B & S techmaster 824 or run one?

A few weeks ago a picked up a B & S Techmaster 824 surface grinder, was not under power but the price was good. It was retro fitted with a A-B SLC-500 PLC. I could not get the cross feed to work, replaced a Triac output card and the shorted out coil on the hydraulic solenoid. Cross feed now works in automatic mode, BUT will not move otherwise. I can move it with the hand wheel, but not the forward/back buttons. Should I be able to do this?

Table hand wheel does not dis-engage/re-engage properly all the time, I need to look into this too.

Over the wheel dresser does not move either, might just be stuck, was never used as they had a diamond wheel on the machine.

Also the grind wet/dry switch does not turn on/off the coolant pump (pump is wired direct to the spindle contactor). On the schematic to the machine it shows the switch controls a solenoid marked "base oil shutoff" I need to lift the table off to see where that oil line goes. curiosity is killing me.

any suggestions appreciated.

pictures at:

I only have a few photocopied pages from the manual, so I can't look there. I do have complete doc's on the PLC convertion.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

Hey Randy,

Wow!! Looks like quite the machine. You say you got the manual for the "Slick 500", but did you get, or can you get, the PLC ladder diagram to see what might be holding it?

Take care.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

ps.I didn't know what it was, so a bit of Google shows:

Pretty nice!!

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Reply to
Brian Lawson

We have one in our shop. Similar, probably newer. No retrofits.

Cannot recall if the front/back buttons are simply to change the direction, or if they are able to provide a means of moving the head.

The hydraulics are a general PITA, and seem to respond well to frequent use.

May have a manual. Will check.

Where are you ?

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Brian, Yes, I do have the ladder logic printout and my Cousin has A-B software, I just don't know if it's supposed to do what I want.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

I'm in Allentown, PA. I did get a Parts manual but not an operators manual.

Jones and Shipman do not seem to offer much support if any, I called for a wheel mount and they couldn't help at all.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

Hey again Randy,

Well, have your cousin take a look at the ladder and see if you can figure out what the slick controls, or what inputs it gets from the machine. Maybe save and dump what you have in control program memory now, and then write a short one to plug in to see whether you CAN control all the axes and feeds and directions. That will at least indicate where you might need to start looking.

Good luck.

Brian Laws>Brian,

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Yes, but a LL print out without the comments really sucks. Too many times I have had to take a machine, pull the ladder, then run around it pressing buttons, tripping sensors and such to document the ladder so I could trouble shoot it. All the time knowing some idiot engineer didn't think about providing plc code and documentation to maintence.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Drop me an email in a couple days, if you do not hear from me again, or drop a request onto this thread, and I should get it.

I'll have a boo and see what we have.

Been a bit scattered of late. If you get forgot, it's just that, not intentional. :-)

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

According to Trevor Jones :

[ ... ]

O.K. I guess that last sentence is rhyming slang, but I don't recognize it. At a guess, an alternate rhyming slang term would be "Have a butcher's".

We don't seem to have that here -- more's the pity.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

DoN,

Ya got me thinking.

The only thing I can come up with, is the game played with very small children, where you cover your eyes, uncover them, and go "Boo".

Peek a boo. ?? Taking a look ?

Never thought about it before. It just is part of the language.

:-)

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

[ ... ]

[ ... ]

O.K. That makes as much sense as I can expect from slang. :-)

For you -- but not a common one here, which is why I asked. I was previously puzzled by someone "having a butcher's" until that one was explained to me.

Thanks, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

On 9 Nov 2007 05:54:33 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) quickly quoth:

----------------------------------------------------------------- When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright ----------------------------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On 9 Nov 2007 05:54:33 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) quickly quoth:

So...what does it _mean_?

I couldn't find it in the idiom finder, but did find Uncle Bob:

's+your+uncle
doesn't have the context Trevor used, either.

----------------------------------------------------------------- When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright ----------------------------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Printout does have comments, too bad I didn't get a disk with the program on it.

I'll say thanks to Backus Automation for providing that info when they did this back in 1997. And thanks to the guy I bought it from for giving me all the doc's.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

So, Do tell.

Not in the local parlance, that I am aware of.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

We have two copies of the parts book, some table sized prints of the wiring/electronics layouts, and no operators manual.

Our machine is a circa 1992 or 1993 824T.

It was bought new. I suspect it has the original stone on it. It does not get much used.

If we do not have a manual, methinks there was not one, but been wrong before.

I do not have the capability to have the large prints scanned locally. Ugh!

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

According to Larry Jaques :

[ ... ]

Look for "Cockney Rhyming Slang" to find many examples. This particular one -- "Butcher's Hook" rhymes with "look", and the rhyming word is usually left off -- apparently to make it more difficult to guess. :-) "Plates of Meat" translates to "feet" in the same way, though it seems to be used full length. That one is part of a whole song made up of rhyming slang, and as I have heard it sung, the singer would point to the appropriate body part -- it was cataloging the desirable features of his girlfriend -- and nothing questionable in it.

Interesting. And the pattern for formation is not quite what the rhyming slang would normally use, either, so it may come from a different source.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Yeah! Funny thing about the interweb.

It only has the information that somebody bothered to put on a webpage.

Then you get to figure out if the information is correct. Ugh!

As afr as the "butcher's". I suspect that delivery and context have a lot more to do with understanding intended meanings than we usually give consious credit for. Standing alone the phrase "to take a butcher's" only means anything to the folks tha have used it or heard it and understood it. If it had been used in context, I would have expected to at least been able to make a decent estimate of it's meaning, as I suspect you were able to, in the usage of "have a boo".

Cheers Trevor Jones (one phrase richer!)

Reply to
Trevor Jones

I could send or fax the 5 pages or so that I have, for some reason I have 3 or 4 copies of those pages.

Covers startup, warmup, running and "parking the table".