Shipbreaking (metal content)

Sure, I feel lucky too...the scar on my index finger...(supervisor, switched me from a single surface grinder, to a double motor machine...forgot to turn secondary motor off, when removing part)...And my accumulations of lead from working at amex industrys, where I milled the lead x-ray grids flat...that lead followed me, out to my car, under fingernails....and the sores on my hands from working with epoxy paint...even double gloves, that solvent would leak through...

sure, I feel real lucky

xman

Reply to
xmradio

Reading articles like this, I feel quite lucky.

Ignoramus26797

There was a really good show on cable (A&E I think) on just this topic of Shipbreaking here. Very good documentary. I strongly suggest watching it if you can. Sorta makes OSHA look really, really good. The place is a death-trap indeed.

Respects,

Rob

Reply to
Rob Fraser

I tried to look for one on torrent sites, unfortunately I did not find anything. I will keep looking.

Ignoramus26797

Half-Nutz

interesting google map! wow. to the left there's a crescent shaped building. made me wonder if that is the corporate office building of the ship breakers. i've seen documentaries on the ship breakers there in india, always showing the working men dressed in rags, somehow i pictured them living in mud huts eating just plain rice, etc. i never stopped to wonder what their boss's working environment looks like. it's got to be a multi-million dollar enterprise, huh? the U.S. navy (and others) prolly aren't negotiating with some filthy guy on the beach dressed in rags huh? it would be interesting to see what if any disparity there is between the workers conditions and their bosses. i don't remember seeing that part in any documentary. prolly that was a condition of filming, "it's ok to film the workers, but not our offices".

b.w.

Reply to
William Wixon

Given that the alternative is no work at all I'm sure that they feel quite lucky also.

Bruce-in-Bangkok (Note:displayed e-mail address is a spam trap)

Reply to
Bruce in Bangkok

Just to the Right is an aircraft carrier on it's way to becoming re- bar.

Reply to
Half-Nutz