A putzy little metal project

http://members.goldengate.net/dforeman/range_stake_holder /

Very nice welds Don. Looks like a pleasure to hold.
On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 00:36:45 -0600, Ignoramus11104

Well thanks, Ig. I'm not proud of the welds, but they'll serve. They're MIG welds. I can do much better with TIG, but I'm still a bit antsy about that. I'm comfy with using MIG with my ICD (implanted cardiac defibrillator) but I'm still not quite sure about E-field of the starting voltage on TIG triggering my ICD. I still need to contrive a Faraday vest. No biggie, just haven't yet got around to it. It'd be a sewing project. I really would like to get back to TIG if I can but the notion of a 47-joule 750-volt mule-kick-to-chest is an experience I'd rather skip if it's not necessary to keep me vertical for a bit longer.
Recall that last January I was told to fuggedabout any form of electric welding for the rest of my life. Not bloody freakin' likely...

If you want a Faraday vest, get a fencing "lame" (pronounced lam-A). These are flexible fabric with fine metal wires woven in. They are used for scoring in competitive fencing. The ones for foil are sleeveless vests, and would be light & comfortable. Some of the newer ones use a conductive fabric. Ideally, you want one of the silver plated copper ones, but the stainless steel ones would probably be fine.
Example: http://www.blue-gauntlet.com/store/products/276
If there is an active fencing club in the area, you can probably get a used one. Sometimes the wire corrodes and they get dead spots that make them illegal for competition. The center of the chest isn't where they tend to go bad, so one that is too tired for fencing would probably be fine.
Doug White
On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 23:20:48 -0600, the infamous Don Foreman
Hey, nice! You're weighting it down with those little welding beads if I'm not mistaken.
-- Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.
On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 22:58:15 -0800, Larry Jaques

Yeh yeh, pile it on. I'm still makin' stuff that works.
On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 01:39:39 -0600, the infamous Don Foreman

I knew you'd understand. <g>
-- Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost. -- Thomas J. Watson

DON'T paint them blue!

Whats wrong with blue? That is the company color for our painted products.

Far too many things that I have had that failed prematurely and sometimes spectacularly were BLUE!

Well of course it was premature, the blue paint hadn't worn/rusted off yet.

And for Miller welders. Tawm prefers lavender. He was simply enchanted with my lavender boat-lift mechanism!

Nice.
Can you tell us more about your zinc plating?
jsw
Don Foreman wrote:

Nice Job Don! I'd like a little more info on the zinc plating as well. You seem to have a good handle on it!
Pete
--
Pete Snell
Department of Physics

See http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/zinc.htm
Rather than buying the kit, you can just buy the concentrate, an anode, and some zinc brightener, and supply your own bucket etc. Dawn and Soft-scrub are excellent degreasers. I don't use heaters or agitators. I might get better results if I did, but I'm satisfied with the results I get: stuff doesn't rust!
Don Foreman wrote:

Thanks Don! I'll investigate that a little more. You using a battery charger for the power supply?
Pete
--
Pete Snell
Department of Physics

No, but a battery charger with a variac and current meter would work. Zinc doesn't take much current for small pieces. Figure 30 milliamps per square inch of workpiece.
I think there are instructions on Caswell's online plating manual for building a current regulator. If you can't find them, I can provide -- it's my design.
Don Foreman wrote:

Show a link to that, Don.

Looks like it isn't there anymore. Sorry 'bout that. I'll email you something from my archive. Let me know if you'd like further assistance.

I responded to your request in good faith by sending some design documents to your posted Email addy. I got an automated reply inviting me to be a supplicant for the favor of your attention by filling out a form and authenticating a graphic. I don't care to interact that way so I think we're done here.