Shiney metal!

For your next Tupperware party perhaps?

Don Foreman

I generally just use Ziploc freezer bags...

Reply to
Larry The Snake Guy

Are you sure they work? You'd better send me a box or two to test for you. .45 and 9mm please!

Reply to
Buerste

Thats a good'un. Also Plano 3450-6 plastic boxes to neatly store and organize all those loose taps and dies.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Those are a couple of my favorite colors. Farberware also makes some containers like those with flat tops, which allows them to stack nicely. The Farberware versions have the four latching flaps and a soft seal in the lid groove, but 100% airtight they are not, despite being labeled with that claim.

I've got some in 3 different sizes from 450ml rectangular size (a good size to protect a shirt-pocket-sized digital camera), to the 2.5L which is about

11x8x2.5".

The various sizes are handy for a wide variety of items, as protective cases for sensitive electronic or optical stuff.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

Only downside is that some of that plastic shatters like glass when it gets cold. I've lost a number of ammo containers that way, leaving them overnight in the car in cold weather, then getting a minor bump. I've used those type of containers for lead bullet storage, a step above scavanged empty bolt and screw boxes. They're usually kept inside where I hope it doesn't get below freezing.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Nice little container. I tend to use the boxes with individual compartments but I can see how that one could work as well. My fingers are still working fine but my thumbs are giving me a bit of trouble. Just dumping it in and then taking it to the range sounds good. Most of us cheap skates buy bulk packs of .22LR and think nothing of a loose box of ammo. What did you pay for the containers?

Good choice of calibre btw. Wes

Reply to
Wes

but I can see

loose box of

They are readily available at the various 99c stores. I keep my DVMs in slightly larger versions.

I however keep my ammo in plastic AMMO boxes as they should be kept.

Shrug

Gunner

Gunner Asch

I'll look for those. I'd like a smaller one for a couple hundred rounds of bulk .22LR ammo in the ammo bag. We always bring at least one .22 when we go shooting.

Reply to
Don Foreman

but I can see

loose box of

Coupla bux each, comparable in cost to the compartmented ones.

I buy bulk .22LR too, my issue is with handloads in other calibers. I'm not likely to get .22LR confused with .45ACP, but it's best to keep the larger calibers segregated --particularly .380ACP and 9mmp which look dang near identical. .380 is actually 9mm but 2mm shorter than 9mmp aka 9mm Luger.

Reply to
Don Foreman

but I can see

loose box of

What kind of plastic AMMO boxes? Are they watertight? Hermetic? The ones with individual cartridge partitions are neither.

Your objectives may differ from mine. My intent is not long-term storage, reserve, hoarding, or anything of the sort. My ammo gets used not long after it's made. The boxes are merely to organize and transport it from where I make it to where I use it.

I do recognize the value of individual cartridge partitions with carefully-crafted rifle rounds.

Reply to
Don Foreman

The smaller versions like the one you pictured, and smaller, are more likely to have a better seal since the latch parts cover a significant area of the edges (smaller corner areas not covered by latch).

Reply to
Wild_Bill

but I can see

loose box of

Most properly constructed ammo is already watertight and hermetic. If its not...the reloader is doing something badly wrong.

On a bet once..I swallowed two rounds of 45acp. One 221 Keith type reload and the other a Speer flying ashtray reload. The next day..both passed through and my betting opponent witnessed me fishing them out, washing them off and then firing both of them. $100 bet. Both functioned perfectly.

I used the money to stock up on a very nice (gently used) Stainless Ruger Security 6, 6" which I still own.

Then coffee cans should work even better. The new plastic red ones with the screw on top are superb for storage.

You mean you just slam together handgun ammo?

Geeze......

Gunner

Gunner Asch

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 00:58:24 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch scrawled the following:

Screwtop coffee _cans_?!? Splain, please.

-- Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yes, large, square plastic coffee "cans" with screw tops are becoming the norm. Readily found at Sam's, Costco, etc. in larger sizes.

Reply to
Pete C.

The new Folgers and other brands are putting their coffee in plastic "cans"

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Yup. Couple hundred rounds an hour. Can't see any difference in (my) performance using it vs factory ammo.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Its that nasty dud at the wrong time that will catch your attention at the worst possible moment.

Use some care when reloading eh?

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Duds aren't an issue with practice ammo, both because it's practice and because I have had zero duds. My mags are loaded with factory ammo away from the practice range. It's pricey but it doesn't get consumed.

I do use some care when reloading, thanks. I do try to pay attention.

Reply to
Don Foreman

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 10:07:07 -0500, the infamous "Pete C." scrawled the following:

Oh, gotcha. I haven't bought pedestrian coffee (for myself) for decades and had forgotten about the new "cans". I picked one up for a neighbor last year and thought it an improvement over cans. No sharp lids, etc. At 93, he can't tell between Folgers and a washer load of dirty socks, not that there's much difference. ;)