Nice shiney finish.

In order to make a tool to cut some pinions for the Hardinge apron gearbox, I've had to get the grinder going that I got from work for £75+VAT.

I've freed up the gummed up valve blocks and hydraulic motor with the aid of a rawhide hammer and some 1200 grit wet-and-dry paper. I've replaced the buggered rams with bits of polished silver steel. The hydraulic pump is now pumping, thanks to Charles's motor replacing the burned out original. The coolant pump just needed an enema.

There are a couple of sealing issues with the hydraulic circuits that need sorting. But for now, oil rags are collecting the mess.

The test run of the grinder was to see how flat it could grind its own table. After a bit of a brain-fart with the ram lifting the table, I got a reasonably flat surface. The finish wasn't perfect, because I can't balance the one arbour I've got. The balance weights on it are stuck and I haven't yet built a balancing jig.

The tests on the table, so far, seem to indicate that it's within two-three tenths over the length and width of the table. This is appalling for a precision surface grinder, but pretty bloody good for a 48 year old pile of scrap iron. The surface finish I'm getting seems to indicate that the bearings are still good.

For now, once I've cleaned up the mag chuck, It'll do the job it needs to do with no problems at all. The ways will get re-scraped in a year or two to bring it back to spec, but it doesn't need it for now.

Pictures of the table being ground are here:-

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand
£90 Well spent I would say.
Reply to
Salamanda

What make/model of surface grinder is it? Bob

Reply to
Emimec

Jones & Shipman 1400.

Standard height, so 11" wheel head vertical traverse.

24"x7" nominal working area (25" x 8" max traverse)

Automatic X and Y, but not Z, feeds.

Ball bearing, rather than plain bearing wheelhead.

Still haven't got the drill pulley off :-(

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Congratulations! Looks very smooth. Mine is making ripples. :-( As they are always on the same spot, they come from the table's drive system. Gears and a toothed bar. Gears worn and bent, so they don't mesh smooth. I'll replace that with a toothed belt. No hydraulics, so I can't make it the way it should be.

And my table moves straight within 1/100 mm over 500mm. Can't check it right, because I first have to grind the table and therefore first have to fix its drive system.

And the dressing head I got 4 days ago is fixed. Dovetail shaped and scraped, new excenter turned. Will mount it today.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller