Third Party for backwards compatibility

The subject of saving a Solidworks file to an older version has come up many times on this forum, and we all know that it is not possible to do so directly. But, does anyone know of a Third Party software that could do this? Seems like a good market exists if someone could figure that out.

Reply to
js

Baren Boym had something called RevWorks that was supposed to do this, but I haven't heard anything about it lately. I always suspected that some goons from SW showed up and broke some fingers and made it go away-or something like that. Heaven forbid that they shouldn't be able to collect their annual extortion amount from each of us.

Now to make it even worse, they go and screw up the newest version so bad that those of us who have been using it for 10 years need to learn a new interface. Which I suppose wouldn't be so bad if the darn thing actually worked. However, from what I have been hearing it doesn't even do that.

jk

Reply to
John Kreutzberger

There's something called RevWorks now that is a Gold Partner with SW, but it is for reverse engineering, not saving in other versions of SW.

Matt Lorono

fcsuper

Baren-Boym's vision of SW time travel never escaped the realm of science fiction.

Reply to
That70sTick

Baren-Boym's software was called ShapeWorks. The last version I tested was v.2113. It was released in September 2004. I don't think it ever progressed past beta testing.

It suffered from geometric inaccuracies with even the simplest geometry.

I had high hopes for this type of technology, Unfortunately it never became a usable product.

Reply to
John

thanks all for the info. too bad. when you are an independent with a couple dozen clients, some of whom use various releases of SW, it just makes life harder. I can't pressure a client to upgrade, yet I become a pain for them because they can't use my files without importing dumb solids. I like (luv?) SW, but it doesn't seem they consider my position (all of us like me), yet are eager to take my money. JS

Reply to
js

js,

It is not just SolidWorks. None of the major 3D parametric CAD modelers Save As/Export to older versions. This includes Inventor, ProE, SolidEdge, Catia, UG, etc.....

This is nothing new and is not going to change anytime soon. Never going to happen in my opinion.

FWIW,

Anna Wood

Reply to
Anna Wood

I've been on subscription since 98+ so I guess I could work in the lowest common denominator just to be safe.

How about having a multi million dollar contract that uses 2007 and then being stuck with 2008?

TOP

Reply to
TOP