Copying Document Properties/Templates

Does anyone know if it's possible to take the document properties from
one file and copy them to another existing file, or to replace
properties by defining a new template file?? I would like to do this
especially for drawings, but parts and assemblies would be great also.
For drawings, the problem is when I update a legacy drawing to current
standards, I have to manually go through and edit each dialog box
within "Tools, Options, Document Properties" in order to ensure
consistency from drawing to drawing. This is a very laborious process,
just to get fonts, units, arrowhead sizes, etc. all to match!
For parts/assemblies I would like to be able to define a new template
which has all of my custom property fields, units, and other Document
Properties defined, again to ensure consistency with current
standards/templates.
Has anyone else struggled with this problem, and have a solution??
-JOSH
Reply to
Josh
Thanks Ken. This seems to be the functionality that I am looking for, but this program doesn't seem to support 2007 yet. Has anyone tried it and had success? Also, I'm a bit nervous about using third party software that might create problems with my company's data files. No offense to the folks at swtools.cad.de, but I really would like to see this functionality addressed directly by SolidWorks, not 3rd party through an Excel spreadsheet. I suppose an enhancement request is in order.
-JOSH
kenneth wrote:
Reply to
Josh
In a drawing, you can load another sheet format and it can bring properties in with it. But if the drawing already has a property of the same name, it will stay right where it is. So if you want to bring in properties with their values, you need to first delete the existing ones in the drawing. This also has the advantage of allowing you to tell it NOT to replace the value of certain properties - you leave those there. You can highlight a group and delete all at once, just like Excel.
Another method that will work with all 3 kinds of files is that you can paste in a whole batch at one time. Go search this NG for a title of Should I upgrade to 2006? and go down to where I talk about cutting and pasting custom properties as a lump. That way you can copy the whole group to the clipboard and then open each file and paste them in.
WT
Reply to
Wayne Tiffany
i believe this has been requested numerous times (Enhancement Request) but to no avail.
we're not brave enough to venture into 2007.
aside from that, we've been using this macro since 2003 with nary a problem.
Reply to
kenneth
Wayne,
Thanks for the helpful tips on copying Custom Properties, however the main thing I want to accomplish is to replace the Document Properties (document specific options) under Tools, Options,... The ideal thing would be to simply say replace the current settings/options with all those from my default template. This could be done for drawings, parts and assemblies. This tool might also have the option to also copy/replace things like Custom Properties from the default template as well.
-JOSH
Wayne Tiffany wrote:
Reply to
Josh
Ahh, right answer, wrong question - sorry.
But, isn't there something in some SW Office version that lets you apply standards, or something? We only run the plain Jane version so I can't look for it.
WT
Reply to
Wayne Tiffany
Wayne,
Good idea/question...We just upgraded to SW Pro, but I haven't tried the Design Checker yet. I will look into that (as soon as time permits) and let you know if it does what I'm asking.
Best regards,
-JOSH
Wayne Tiffany wrote:
Reply to
Josh
macro at
If it doesn't work in SW2007, I would like to know. Chances are it would be a simple fix (same should be true for any other macro).
Reply to
That70sTick

Site Timeline