Propagation of Document properties

Hello All,

Occasionally I'll get some files from a client that I have to do some work on, and I would like to change their document properties to my document properties. Is there any way to populate their part files with document properties from my part template?

TIA, Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

There is a link named Copy Custom Info macro . This is a great macro that I use all of the time (thanks Roland).

With a part open, start the macro. It will instantly ask you what file do you want to copy the custom props from. You can then pick and choose which props you want to copy, or select all. Click copy and that's it!

Reply to
Seth Renigar

Thanks Seth, I have Propagator, and it works great, but what I want to do is propagate document properties not custom properties.

I hope I'm making sense. Muggs

"Seth Renigar" wrote in message news:LcVte.45845$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com...

Reply to
Muggs

Sorry. I mis-read your question. I don't have an answer for you regarding document properties. I too would like to know of a way to do this. I wish that macro would do custom properties and document properties because it is so very easy to use. But it doesn't.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

Thanks for the positive feedback, Seth.

I have considered a similar program for document properties. Mostly I am daunted by the sheer number of properties that need to be copied. They don't enumerate nicely the way custom properties do. Otherwise, it shouldn't be too difficult (in theory).

I started a new job > Sorry. I mis-read your question. I don't have an answer for you regarding

Reply to
That70sTick

Try this, copy document properties (excel macro). Works for system, part, assy and drawing.

freeware section.

To use the tool, open SW drawing (the one with desired properties).

Open Excel macro, set to appropriate worksheet (drawing), then select "get options". Only need to do this once or for each different template you have (multiple Excel files).

Open client drawing, switch back to Excel macro, then select "set options".

Copydocoption-1.7.0.xls exists which includes 2005 & 2006 options, but has not been released yet. If you inquire, you may be able to get this version or maybe he will finally release for public consumption.

cheers

Reply to
remy martin

Well, it's something that I would pay a reasonable amount for. Please keep this NG informed if/when you get around to it.

Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

OH YES... I forgot about this one.

I have used this in the past. It works well for the most part. I did have some problems with colors IIRC. Seems like it had something to do with feature colors. By default if you change the color of "Shading", all of the feature colors in the list would change also. After running the excel macro, if you change the color of "Shading", none of the feature colors in the list change (IIRC). There was no way to get this functionality back. You would literally have to change the color for every feature type within the document properties>colors to get a single color model. Of course this might be fixed now, or I may not be remembering correctly either. I would test it on a junk model first.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

That works great! Thanks Remy.

Now I wish it could populate all part files in a folder. I know, I know, don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Thanks again, Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

Please report this as a bug to the author. Contact info is on description worksheet inside macro.

Reply to
remy martin

I will do this tomorrow. Can you please confirm this problem for me before I do (if you can follow it)? I just want to make sure it is not something unique with my system settings that is causing it first.

Thanks,

Reply to
Seth Renigar

Confirmed.

Never noticed this before because I only use this macro for drawings and system options.

Reply to
remy martin

OK thanks... I just reported the problem to the author (Stefan Berlitz).

Reply to
Seth Renigar

"Seth Renigar" wrote in message news:DU_te.72$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com...

Did you send this in? & If so, did you get a response as to whether this would be fixed?

Reply to
remy martin

remy,

Yes I did. He did confirm that what I was seeing WAS really happening. Turns out that even if you manually change any of the feature colors in the list, they will never be populated with the shaded color again. There is no way to reset this. There is a workaround with this Excel macro though. I was going to post his response, but it slipped through the cracks as busy as I have been around here. Below is a condensed version of his response:

My preference is the third option. Simply prevent the copydocoptions.xls macro from changing any of the feature colors. This is done with a simple negative number in the first column of the respective row(s). I have not actually tried it yet, but I'm sure it will work. I am going to make a permanent change to a copy of this .xls file so I don't have to do this every time.

Reply to
Seth Renigar