Should dimension change with scaling

I have always wondered why they haven't. maybe it just my understanding of what going on behind the scene, but I would think that you could write some code so that it would simply take all of the dimensions and mulitply it by the scale factor that you input.

I could see things getting more complicated if it weren't a uniform scale. i.e. changing only the X, or Y and not the Z. Maybe one of you guys might have an simple explination as to why this is.

Reply to
modelsin3d

are you scaling the part, or the drawing? dimensions are independent of drawing scale; if you want to change the dimensions you need to scale the part.

Reply to
Michael

When scaling a part, you are only scaling the mass geometry of the part as defined by all PREVIOUS features, not the feature definitions themselves. Otherwise, every time you rebuilt the part, the model would scale from it previously rebuilt size.

Any feature geometry after the scale feature in the tree, is not effected by the scale feature.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

Scaling at the Part level

Reply to
modelsin3d

That I do understand, but there shouldnt be a reason why the features and or dimension coulc not be scaled up and included as part of the scaling feature. i.e you supress the scale, and the dimension go back to their original size.

And features based upon the scale would be affected by it if you were related to it. So it is not and independant function unto itself.

Reply to
modelsin3d

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:1119364201.889609.77550 @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

This may work for extremely simple geometry, but I don't see it generalizing to more complicated model definitions. I suppose if every dimension were only relative to some point (e.g. origin) and that was the exact point to wanted to scale relative too, it could work. But, when was the last time you dimensioned every feature relative to a single point.

Scaling the mass geometry as it is when the scale feature is applied is the only reasonable way I can see handling this. As a mold tool, it works like I would expect.

In what way are you trying to use the tool that you would see a benefit in having it alter the dimensions for you? Maybe there are other uses that I've not run into yet.

MHill

Reply to
MHill