Scaling a Sketch

How do you scale all entities in a sketch by changing one dimension? Back in my Pro/E days there was a way do this. i.e. a box: one side is one inch the other side is 2 inches. If you were to change the 1 to 1.5 the 2 would change to 3.

I was tracing a picture to do a prelim design of a garage, and once I got the outline of the garage done, I wanted to add real dimensions. Well, the picture was obviously much smaller than 1:1 so when I needed to scale the sketch that was already fully dimensioned, I couldn't. So I had to redimension one line to a real world size, scale the picture to match it, then delete all the other dimensions and drag the endpoints of the sketched lines to their correct locations, then redimension them. Is there a better way of doing this?

Reply to
Jeff N

Open the sketch Tools/Sketch Tools/Modify When the box opens, enter a number in the "Factor:" box and press .

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

I'm familiar with that, but was hoping there was a better method. Guess it's time for an ER. As for the exact functionality I'm looking for check out

under 'Scaling in Sketcher'.

Reply to
Jeff N

That sounds pretty cool - I don't know of any functionality like that. The other way would be to set up equations, but I think what you are looking for is a quick way to get it all into a ballpark scale, and then tweak the dims there.

If you think ahead a bit, you could put in your first line and then dimension it. This would put it at the correct (or close) scale and would then allow you to put in your other lines close to where they belong.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Yeah, I guess the best method would be to insert the picture, draw the first line, dimension the line, then scale the picture to that line and go from there. In my case I had already drawn it all and autodimensioned. I just needed it bigger.

Weird thing is that you can scale it using modify sketch when dims are intact, but it won't give the scale option if one endpoint is constrained, say to the origin.

Reply to
Jeff N

That is strange - hadn't noticed that one.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Jeff:

I usually use the "Z" key for this. Z makes it smaller by 15%, and shift-Z makes it bigger. When that stops working, I just move my chair. I've also requested a 21" flatscreen because the big crt is too heavy for delicate scaling functions. ;op

Reply to
matt

I know of a sort of corny way to do it and that is to...

*) Edit the sketch *) Window-select all *) Copy *) Paste into drawing *) Scale

It will scale the dimensions in which you can then reverse the process and paste into a part onto a face or plane.

Mike Wilson

Mike J. Wilson

This could be done with a macro. Just grab all of the dimensions and scale each one in your macro (just don't scale any of the angular dims!). You may need use some certain methods so that the sketch rebuilds AFTER all changes have been made to avoid overconstraining errors.

Reply to
Arlin

Oooo... tricky! 8^)

.. (it's ER time..)

"Mike J. Wils>

Reply to
Paul Salvador

i would have scaled the picture befor i started. if you figure of how much you have to scale it by. then edit all dimensions and multiply by that factor.

Reply to
Sean Phillips