non-proportional scaling a sketch entity

I want to scale a symetrical airfoil so that the length increases but the thickness stays the same, in Rhino this is real easy, in SW I've not a clue how to do it.

The scale dialog box does not seem to support this type of scaling function........or does it???

using SW2005 SP04

Thanks, Brad

Brad

No it won't.

But you might want to try the Flex feature and use the stretch option. With it, you can limit the area of scale. If you're just scaling in one direction, you might be able to use stretch and not affect the endcap of the airfoil, but again I'm not sure what your shape looks like or whether this will work.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
mbiasotti

You could scale the resulting solid. Insert/Feature/Scale then deselect "Uniform scaling".

Jerry Steiger

thanks Jerry.........will give it a try. What I want to do is create the side-of-body fillet for a flying surface, usually this profile is a tweaked version of the root rib of the wing, but scaled so that the length is increased but the chord height is not.

Brad

Brad

Unfortunately, it looks like SolidWorks doesn't make this very easy for you. I tried scaling a surface and that worked, so you could make a planar surface which is the shape of the root rib, pattern it, and then scale each of the surfaces appropriately. Then you have to make composite curves from the edges of each surface and loft using the composite curves as profiles. With luck you will be able to add the right tangency conditions at the ends and get a nice fillet.

Jerry Steiger

Hmmm............think I'll probably just tweak the profiles in RHino, them export them to SW. I did a lot of that in my early days before I got handier with SW.

Wonder why SW does not offer the non-proportional scale function??

Cheers, Brad

Reply to
Brad

Hmm, it seems like you can do it?...

..

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Unfortunately, I'm still living in 2004, so I couldn't open it. Could you explain verbally how you did it? Is there new scaling functionality for sketches in 2005 or 2006?

Jerry Steiger

I added a 2004 version to that zip but it's just a solid scaled, then use the outline of the solid to copy the edge,.. and yes, no sketch scale is available in SW.

(btw, I would think that this is a very common enhancement request, to scale a sketch in the xyz?) (.. well, my past request.. that sketch features (not within a sketch but a resolved sketch) have copy, scale, mirror and pattern capibilities... maybe it will have to take Ade$k Inventor doing it so SW can follow??) ..

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Hi Paul,

I need to transfer the file to my office PC, the one with SW on it to check out the file you sent. I keep a PC for E-mail and such and then there is the work PC that is not on-line. Thanks, Brad

Reply to
Brad