I have a customer who is using Solidworks and is having a HUGE problem. I have been a SW user since 1996, and have never seen anything worse than this, although I have seen many of the symptoms in the past. We have to get some of this fixed TODAY. I have known about the problem since only Yesterday.
The problems occur with multiple parts and assemblies. And alledgedly also occurs on different machines although I have not seen that yet. I also believe that is a user/modeling issue, that may or may not be unrelated. SW2008 SP3.0. 64bit machine. Windows Xp. At least 2G ram. ATL FireGL 5x00 graphics.
- When a part/assembly is opened it requires multiple rebuilds on some features. The features are typically cavity features, but after successfully rebuilding those parts/features there are others that require rebuilding. Ctrl-Q does not help.
- When in sketch mode, sometimes you cannot select sketch elements, or hover over them and have them highlight.
- Sometimes when editing/modifying features that are part of a cavity function, the feature dialog box will close, when you click on OK, but the green/red check in the corner stays active, as if the feature is still trying to rebuild/solve. Clicking on the red X exits.
- Sometimes the cavity design part is missing/lost after a feature that impacts the cavity is modified. Restarting solidworks clears the problem, and shows the revised cavity function.
- Some parts take very very long to rebuild, although the file sizes are only 30-50M, but the shapes are quite complex, and with multiple cavity features.
- The system seems to have hidden processes running in the background, OS type stuff, or maybe SW, but there is very little 2-3% processor time consumed. Just highlighting surfaces/features etc sometimes takes unbelieve-able amounts of time.
- Sometimes .STL files look fine on screen, but generate seriously flawed parts. The .STL parts typically pass through the .STL diagnostics on the RP system, but come out with bad/extra triangle surfaces...
Pretty JACKED up, I know. And I suspect multiple causes. BUT the Multiple rebuild problem I HAVE seen, and Cavity slowness I have seen in the past. I can't remember what causes the multiple rebuild at startup. The files save without errors. But sometimes take forever to save. The overall slowness is also something seen in the past, but that I think is a very complex set of causes. (Hardware, graphics, memory, modeling techniques, that I am working through) I do suspect there are some graphics card/driver causes. I really don't like the ATI cards. But the mutiple rebuild is something else, right? Or not?
CAn anyone address the multiple rebuild issue, and some of the rest? The dealer has been somewhat involved. I don't know if SW corp has, Working on that this morning. Also trying to get the files on a different machine, but there are extraneous issues with that to be dealt with today as well.
HELP? Please e-mail direct as I do not know if I will have newsgroup access at the customer later this morning/today.