Should I upgrade to 2006?

The time is getting close to upgrading (or in this case downgrading) to

2006. Here is the issue. I am trying to get my people to use custom properties. The SW interface isn't particularly friendly, but in 2004 it follows MSoft convention and allows cutting and pasting. The 2006 Custom property interface doesn't allow cutting and pasting. SW has, since day one had the ability to paste into custom props and why they didn't keep this in 2006 (actually 2005 started it) I can't fathom. Did 200,000 users specifically ask that SW drop this functionality? I you did, please tell me why.
Reply to
TOP

Annoying, isn't it. If this is a show stopper to you, then I guess don't upgrade. A workaround is use Design Tables for your Custom Properties.

Best Regards, Devon T. Sowell

Devon T. Sowell

I'm confused - I cut & paste Config Specific Properties all the time. What is it exactly that you can't do?

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

I can cut and past using &

Dennis

Reply to
cadman800

I must be missing something because I tried to paste into config specific custom props from excel and it wouldn't go.

Reply to
TOP

Hello Wayne-

I have difficulty Copying and Pasting more than one line at a time. I believe this is what TOP is referring to. Is Copying and Pasting more than one line at a time possible?

Thanks, Devon T. Sowell

Devon T. Sowell

Right, this too is a problem.

Devon

Reply to
Devon T. Sowell

Yes and no, here is what I do. Say you have an Excel sheet, or whatever with the following text in three cells.

Description1 Text Thing1 Description2 Text Thing2 Description3 Text Thing3 Description4 Text Thing4 Description5 Text Thing5 Description6 Text Thing6

  1. Highlight all and copy those as a block with Ctrl-C.
  2. Now go to the SW properties box and select the first row by clicking on the header so it highlights the whole row.
  3. Hit Ctrl-V.
  4. Click in the Value/Text Expression box so it puts the cursor there and unhighlights the whole row. The text in that box will be highlighted, but that's ok.
  5. Hit the Enter key.
  6. Hit your down arrow key to jump down a row.
  7. Continue 5 & 6 until all the rows are in. A bit kludgy, but not too bad.

You can also copy and paste custom properties from another SW part with the same method.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Awesome. Great tip, thanks.

Devon

Reply to
Devon T. Sowell

Reply to
matt

This I am aware of. There are still times when I want to work manually. SW after all revamped the whole custom property interface in 2005. And in so doing lost some very basic MicroSoft functionality. Now some people say they can cut and paste and yet I couldn't do this from excel. So it will have to wait till Monday for me to check this twist out.

As for custom prop apps I use swCP for it's programmability. But there are certain custom properties that swCP doesn't handle and these I may want to do a cut and paste on.

Reply to
TOP

TOP, Aside from the specific issue of cut/paste into properties, I would say 2006 is a BIG improvement over 2004 - I've recently done the upgrade myself.

Some highlights for me are :- - a measure tool that is just about useable, as opposed to completely crap - better control over which model dimensions are inserted into which drawing view. - better control over which sketch relations are automatically inferred. - improved BOM capabilities

John H

Reply to
John H

This goes back to what I've been saying all along. There are two different versions of SolidWorks maintained by two different sets of coders. There just have been too many regressions when new versions come out for this not to be the case.

In any event a macro to do what you want would be almost trivial to write. If you aren't macro savvy I would write it for you.

Lemme know here as e-mail is no longer functional and I like it that way! =========================================================================== Chris

Reply to
Chris Dubea

That's pretty cool Wayne, but I still have to try it on my machine.

What I found is that your method does > Yes and no, here is what I do. Say you have an Excel sheet, or whatever

Reply to
P.

Try this. Paste something into the SW cell just like you would think would work and then hit your left arrow. I think what happens is that the pasting operation keeps the cursor at the left side of the property cell, but puts the pasted in info to the left of it. Therefore you see nothing until you scroll to the left.

I've never turned that in, but maybe I should. Hmmm.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany