Automatic Rev Block, can you link the latest REV # to the title block?

Is there a way to link the latest rev# to a field on the title block? If I had rev 2 to a drawing, I would like the REV field in my title block to match automatically. Is there a way to link these?

Reply to
SW Monkey

You can add a custom property to either the drawing or the part that is called "Revision" It will appear under "File-Properties" the select the "Custom Properties" tab and drop down the list in the left hand box. The middle box will default to "Text" and you can update the right hand box with the revision number. This is done "manually," but most dwg rev's are, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I believe that in the default dwg formats, whatever you enter for "Revision" will show up in the title block revision square.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Tom

Yea. That was my other option. Seems like SolidWorks would have made a way to do what I wanted. Whenever you add a new revision to the Rev block, it goes up a Rev, so it seems like whatever is driving that could also change the Rev field in the titleblock.

So back to Custom Properties. Do you noramlly put the Rev custom property in the drawing or the model? I put most of my custom props in the model, and have them populate to the drawing (which I believe most people do). ALSO, does anyone have a good/free interface to adding custom properties to documents?

Reply to
SW Monkey

You had to ask, and the reply is...

Vinodh Kumar M.

GreenHex

Is this the same person who developed swProp2? I see it listed on the site. Ive played around with that, but found it not user freindly when it came to customizing :)

So, what is the difference between Remote and Local swCP3? Im not sure I understand the "get serial" thing. Please explain... The FAQ is empty :)

Reply to
SW Monkey

BTW, thanks for the link :)

Reply to
SW Monkey

Yes... and the envisioned ini file editor for swProp2 is vapourware...

On to your question about "Get Next..."

"Get Next Serial Number" is a way of generating the next available number based on simple rules (depending on your specific requirements) that you can specify in the initiation file.

This is useful if you work on multiple projects and/ or need to consume and keep track of their drawing numbers.

The following rules may be specified for "Get Next Serial Number" Min Value Max Value Step Value for successive numbers A "key" based on which the number is fetched. (this *is* the killer, really) Formatting of the serial number.

The free "Local" version is useful for single installations while the "Remote" version is useful if you work collaboratively, ie. the swCP3 daemon keeps track of all the consumed serial numbers.

Of course there is much more to swCP3 than "Get Next..."

Vinodh Kumar M.

GreenHex

About the customization of swProp2 being not so user friendly, I must mention that I've also had lots of comments from users that what the like is precisely that "it is so easy to customize!"

However, you can have even more fun customizing swCP3 ;-) (but it's fun once you are finished with that)

Vinodh Kumar M.

GreenHex

Hi Monkey -

Are you using the new revision block?

If so, you will have a "free" revision attribute available in your drawing when you apply a rev.

I think that one needs to create at least one rev first for the revision tag to be available. This, if I recall correctly, is a drawing level tag and you can use it like any other tag.

This should work like this, if set up right:

Add a revision letter to a table (or change the last revision number/letter on an existing) and all your pages should now have that number in the title block.

It's that straight forward (for me). I think that's what you are looking for. If you need a sample posted, let me know.

I think that they have put exactly what you want in there - no "special" attributes needed.

Later,

SMA

Reply to
Sean-Michael Adams

After looking into swCP3, it looks like it is easier to edit the .ini file than the .xml file :P

Maybe I have to get used to it. Its like HTML, but when I open the XML file, the text is all over the place, while the text in the INI file was all on the left side of the screen. Im going to play around with this more, but great addin ! :)

Sean-Michael Adams, im not surer I understand what you are talking about. When adding a REV, the rev block gets updated with the new rev number, but I also have a field in my titleblock (on the other side of the page) that has the REV number in the corner. I also want that to automatically get updated.

Reply to
SW Monkey

Hi Monkey -

I started a new thread on this.

Take a look at:

Tables & "Automatic" Revision Tags in Drawing Formats

I think this is what you are wanting. If not it's still useful stuff.

Later,

SMA

Reply to
Sean-Michael Adams

Use the free "cooktop" editor available at

edit XML files... if you are so inclined.

You can check the XML files for well-formedness AND validity with the cooktop editor.

With regards,

-mvk

Reply to
GreenHex