OT - Broken shear pins - snowplowing

says they've broken 40 shear pins in the big rotary plows this week, due to trees mixed in with the snow on Going-to-the-Sun road across Glacier National Park. The altitude isn't very high (Logan Pass is at 6646 feet) but the snow was still 75 feet deep on the road at the pass a few days ago.

Reply to
James Waldby

The last ski resort just closed for the season in CO and they've had more snow this last week. Wettest and coolest start to summer I can remember since I got here 14 years ago. Beats 100+ degrees and no precip by a long shot, though.

Not sure how you'd actually move 75' of snow. Strip mining equipment, maybe. And there'd have to be someplace to put it. The biggest rotaries I've seen wouldn't handle more than 15-20', were the ones mounted on those trains in the Sierras.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 21:28:35 -0500, the infamous James Waldby scrawled the following:

That link leads to a WWII pontoon bridge article and a search of the Missoulian gives me this: Search Results

Web Search powered by YAHOO! SEARCH Enter search word(s): New Search You searched for: rotary plows

Sorry, we were unable to locate document(s) pertaining to your request.

-- The doctor can bury his mistakes, but an architect can only advise his client to plant vines. --FLW

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The Missoulian has changed the article at that link since yesterday, when I looked at it, and apparently hasn't yet indexed the "Glacier: Going to the Sun Road Clearing Continues" article yet. I'll post a good link if I find one.

A small part of the text of yesterday's snow-plowing article is copied at . An article from a year ago and a couple of .mov videos are at

and .

Reply to
James Waldby

You can view some photos here:

brief article here:

Sounds like a bunch of fun...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 12:47:14 -0500, the infamous James Waldby scrawled the following:

Wow, evocative!

Dem dozer boys got big ones.

-- The doctor can bury his mistakes, but an architect can only advise his client to plant vines. --FLW

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Google has a ton of pages - and in pictures - lots of good info.

Mart> >> On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 21:28:35 -0500, the infamous James Waldby

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn