A putzy little metal project

I missed that. I thought the finish was a trick of lighting. Attention to detail, good on you.

Wes

Wes

I think all I entered was "Death to spammers!" and the graphic code last time. Avoiding spam is a good thing, however I find that having my mail server reference a couple open relay databases, along with the usual spam filter software takes care of 98% of the spam heading in my direction. Only one or two spam items get through a week.

Reply to
Pete C.

Far too many things that I have had that failed prematurely and sometimes spectacularly were BLUE!

Reply to
Buerste

OK. Look for plating_regulator.pdf. I designed this back in 1998 and it was primitive technology then, but it's cheap and it works.

I'm not always grumpy.

Reply to
Don Foreman

And for Miller welders. Tawm prefers lavender. He was simply enchanted with my lavender boat-lift mechanism!

Reply to
Don Foreman

It may seem pricey initially, but I've found my zinc bucket to be an excellent long-term investment of under $100. I've been using that same bucket, 2 gallons of juice and anode for over a decade of plating various little steel projects. Paint doesn't repel rust for long when there's metal-to-metal contact or any kind of abrasion. Zinc isn't forever either, but it endures quite well.

I keep the bucket covered when not in use and maintain the level with distilled water to make up for evap. If bright zinc is desired then it's necessary to squirt about 5 ml of brightener in the bucket every couple of months because it oxidizes over time. That's why the soup looks so evilly dark brown. I probably should run it thru a coffee filter again. But I probably won't. Bright zinc doesn't stay bright for long anyway so I don't worry about it.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Well of course it was premature, the blue paint hadn't worn/rusted off yet.

Wes

Wes

Did you look into copper/nickel plating as well? I'm looking for rust protection for home-made steel hand tools, to go with the black from boiling in sodium thiosulphate.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Don Foreman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

If you want a Faraday vest, get a fencing "lame" (pronounced lam-A). These are flexible fabric with fine metal wires woven in. They are used for scoring in competitive fencing. The ones for foil are sleeveless vests, and would be light & comfortable. Some of the newer ones use a conductive fabric. Ideally, you want one of the silver plated copper ones, but the stainless steel ones would probably be fine.

Example:

If there is an active fencing club in the area, you can probably get a used one. Sometimes the wire corrodes and they get dead spots that make them illegal for competition. The center of the chest isn't where they tend to go bad, so one that is too tired for fencing would probably be fine.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White