How long should a tank of Argon last?

I may have a leak in my rig somewhere as my 134CF tank of argon has lasted about 2 weekends while futzing around learning to tig.
Perhaps 10 linear feet of weld total. After flow set to the recommended, and the ball falls normally after the timer shuts off.
Ive no idea how long a tank should last, or how to detect a slow leak properly.
At $40 a tank..this may be more expensive than I can live with.
My hearing is poor, so cannot hear anything leaking in the system.
Lincoln Tig 250/250, near new Harris ball type flow meter.
Gunner
Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli
I religously turn off the valve after every welding session, sometimes even if I an just stopping for five minutes. I have a four foot tall bottle, no idea of CF-age, I'm going to say that it doesn't last long, maybe 10 - 15 hours of actual welding time. I get a new one every several months, depending on projects. If i'm doing a welding project, I seem to average about 5% - 10% welding time to fabrication time, so 15 hours of "arc" time is a lot of work.
Brian

It goes pretty fast. With a gas lense, running 12.5-15 cfh I've noticed a noticable drop in my tank after putzing around for a few hours doing practice coupons.
The math would suggest your tank would last about 9 hours of welding with a gas lense and about half that with a regular collet body. Easy to do in 2 weekends of futzing, eh?
I bought a 249 cubic foot tank since that is the biggest one I can sling into my vehicle. The gas lense helps a lot, too. There is a usually a price break at some tank size and up--i.e. the smaller tanks cost more per cf to fill.
Always turn the tank valve off when you are not going to be welding for more than a few minutes. You probably already know to turn it all the way on and not just crack it.
Addictive, isn't it?
Jeff Dantzler BTW, did you get my email about the scope mount?
On Wed, 11 May 2005 18:09:54 -0000, Jeff Dantzler

Yes, it is. <G>

I got one, and responded. Were there others?
Gunner
Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli

I didn't get one back. I used the above address minus NOSPAM for my email to you. I can be reached at dantler at d r i z z l e dot com
Sorry for being OT
Cheers--JLD

134 Cu Ft
flow rate of 20 Cu Ft / Hr
about 6-3/4 hours of welding time.

Oh yeah, switch bottles every ten feet, that's what we all do. It's best to line up several bottles, each with its own regulator. Run all the hoses into a manifold with ball valves for quick switches on the fly. Don't forget to keep a bunch of spare regulator nuts on hand, the threads wear out in a hurry if you put in a full day.
Anyway, a few weeks ago you claimed $150 per month worth of electricity for a few hours of welding, and now you're adding another $80 for your monthly 20 feet of TIG. My advice: check with Limbaugh.... considering that you're limiting your hobby to weekends, Oxycontin might be cheaper.
Wayne
Let's keep the group positive, eh? David Todtman

"David Todtman" wrote: (clip) eh? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This is Canadian for "huh?"
Mine usually last until the gauge reads "0". The time it lasts depends on how much welding I do, the pressure I set, and whether or not I remember to turn it off every day, and when not in use.
HTH
Steve

Yep, Leo.
We had the pleasure of living in Texas for about 3 1/2 years in the mid-80s and learned to say, "Eh, y'all?"
Ciao, David
On Wed, 11 May 2005 20:59:19 GMT, "David Todtman"

Wayne has some issues that he needs to address with a counsler. The inferiority complex is only one of them. He has been in my kill file for quite some time and I refuse to reply to his posts, even when piggybacked on others. One should note that I never post off topic in this newsgroup, nor shall I.
Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli

Oh yeah, I sure wish I needed Usenet to explain what soapy water is for.

What's different about this newsgroup, and what can we do to make it so that you treat the other groups the same?

Hmm.... seems off-topic to me. You might try doing what you say.
Wayne

And it is appreciated. I tip my hat.

On Thu, 12 May 2005 18:18:57 GMT, Ernie Leimkuhler

I do so, out of respect solely for you, and the fact Im here to learn and perhaps contribute on how Not to do things.
Gunner

"Veterans, and anyone sensible, take cover when there's incoming. A cloud of testosterone makes a piss poor flack shield." <Offbreed>
Hi, Gunner,
I'll add my thanks to you and to all for avoiding OT posts on this group. I browse RCM, and I don't really mind the OT posts there, because I know that that group functions that way, and I tend to skip over a good many topics anyway (on and off topic). But this newsgroup I read "cover to cover," so I really appreciate the fact that we tend to stay on topic. By the way, IMHO, you clearly have a lot to offer both groups (one of my life's ambitions: to visit your back yard someday!), and I don't in the least mind your sigs -- contrary to what someone suggested earlier, that to me is *not* equivalent to posting OT. Sometimes I agree with the sentiments in your sigs, and sometimes I disagree, but I always find them interesting and provocative. Should I ever feel the need to comment on one of them, I'll send you an email--or post in RCM! :)
Andy
Well, crud -- I just realized that my thanks for not posting OT is itself an OT post! Somedays you just can't win ...

On Fri, 13 May 2005 12:28:02 -0400, "Andrew H. Wakefield"

<G>
My backyard is your backyard <G>
Gunner

"Veterans, and anyone sensible, take cover when there's incoming. A cloud of testosterone makes a piss poor flack shield." <Offbreed>
Sigh ... if only I lived on the WEST coast instead of the EAST coast ...

Well, *that* certainly puts your respect for everyone else into perspective. But Ernie is a frequent contributor at rec.crafts.metalworking as well, and even plonked you a while back http://tinyurl.com/blu9y . Yet the political crap from you continues there unabated. Perhaps your respect for him is that limited, one-forum only kind that we hear so much about. I suppose everyone should give you credit though for mostly sparing at least one group. Sort of like thanking a burglar for bypassing a particular house.
Wayne

*Now* I remember why I put you in my filter.
Thanks for reminding me.
Bye!