WTT/WTB Argon tank

I got my Lincoln Tig 250/250 welding machine today.. AC/DC stick/tig

Ive got just about everything needed to fire this old girl up, except an argon tank. I understand that I cant use the C25 mix from my MIG welder...so I need to get a tank.

A fellow offered to give me some CO2 tanks, but I understand those cannot be used for Argon (correct?)

Id prefer to own my own bottles, as I own my own AC and C25 bottles and not pay rent. The local gas company simply swaps them out and I dont have to worry about regular testing etc.

Any ideas of where to find one.....cheap?

Cash is dear, but I can swap machine tool Stuff for one, etc..

Thanks

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right before demode` (out of fashion).

-Buddy Jordan 2001

Reply to
Gunner

Back when I lived in the Bay Area, I wanted to swap my oxygen tank for an argon tank. I called around... Nesco, Airgas, everyone said no, no, no. Finally, I called Airgas again and asked them if I could just have them fit an argon valve onto my oxygen bottle.

The guy said, "Sure, but what we'd do there is just swap your oxygen tank for an argon tank."

So I got his name and hustled on down.

Reply to
Tom Young

Thats exactly what I did. I had inquiredon havin g my O2 bottles refit with a Argon valve, and they told me no problem, but it wuld be about a week until I got em back and they would run $25 bucks or so each to change over........I agreed, so I went to pull my truck around to the loading dock to unload them, and then the same sales associate came out and said, are you really sure you want to change out valves..........to which I replied, yep I need argon more than I need all these O2 cylinders, which I do ot really have any need for.....to which he replied I can swap bottles for free but if you really have to have your own cylinders back.,..........Not a problem.......so he was happy and I was very happy.......got my argon 1 week earlier than anticipated and only paid for the fills.......... Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wife, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

Answers are yes, no, maybe, and it depends. Some bottles have the name of the company, like AirGas cast into the ring around the top. Others do not have this identification. On some bottles, it is just up to the guy behind the desk, and how much business you do with them, or they think you will do with them, as to how they do a trade/switch on a bottle. On some, they have a lot of leeway, and some, like AirGas, you gotta take it there. Or so it is in our locale.

There are things to be said for buying local and getting to know the guy in your locale who works behind the counter. Just such situations answer the question, "Why should I deal locally when I can get this stuff over the Internet?" When you need a friend to cut you a deal or some slack, it really helps to be able to go to your local supplier and at least be able to say you have an account there, and could they please help you with this situation.

Most of the time, they want your business (either to get it or keep it) and will help you out if'n you got a decent attitude.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB