Strange sound from big screen TV

My 5 year old 60" rear projection TV is going nuts. There is an intermittent scratchy sound (like a loose wire connection from the input stage) coming from the speakers - it does not matter if the TV is on or off. It happens once every few days. The video section is clear when this sound comes on. When the TV is switched off, we have the same strange sound, same volumn level. This sound also comes out from my power sub that is connected to the signal output of the TV. The sub is now disconnected. This does not happen with my boom box located in the same room. I have Comcast able.

Couldn't figure if its the power company, my cable company or just an old TV going bad. If it is from the power company then my boom box should have this sound at the same time, but it does not. Any ideas?

Reply to
Fred

intermittent

are you near an AM radio transmitter?

do you have a neighbor who might be operating high power RF equipment?

do you ever set a cell phone on the TV?

It happens

does unplugging the set from the wall make the sound go away?

This sound also comes out from my power sub that is connected to the

Reply to
TimPerry

are you near an AM radio transmitter? do you have a neighbor who might be operating high power RF equipment? do you ever set a cell phone on the TV?

=A0=A0It happens once every few days. The video section is clear when this sound comes on. When the TV is switched off, we have the same strange sound, same volume level. does unplugging the set from the wall make the sound go away? =A0=A0This sound also comes out from my power sub that is connected to the signal output of the TV. The sub is now disconnected. This does not happen with my boom box located in the same room. I have Comcast able. Couldn't figure if its the power company, my cable company or just an old TV going bad. If it is from the power company then my boom box should have this sound at the same time, but it does not. Any ideas?

----------------------------

Something like that is what i was thinking. One of the neighbors has installed a High Powered Linear on a CB or Ham Radio and is giving him TVI, these waves can flood your Television & Stereo with unwanted cross talk, but some of the symptoms he mentioned are inconsistent with this theory so I am not so sure.

Roy Q.T. Urban Technician [I don't make em, I just fix em]

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 11:13:11 -0400, "TimPerry" Gave us:

Don't forget "Having a "space phone" nearby..."

Reply to
TokaMundo

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 14:56:34 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Roy Q.T.) Gave us:

If some asshole has a linear amp bleeding over into everything else around, I would be placing a call to the FCC. His days of non-conformance would be over in short order!

Reply to
TokaMundo

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 20:07:36 GMT, DaveB Gave us:

Hahaha... funniest post I have seen in this group in a very long time.

Reply to
TokaMundo

Is your cat missing?

Regards

Daveb

Reply to
DaveB

that's cuz the guy downloading free power from the ionosphere went away

Reply to
TimPerry

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 16:23:51 -0400, "TimPerry" Gave us:

That guy was a trip.

Reply to
TokaMundo

Does the sound stop when the TV is disconnected from the power? It could in theory be the sub. I would suspect bad connections in the aerial cabling or a dry joint in the TV. Alternatively a globe could be dying.

The boom box might filter out the scratchy sounds which are a relatively high frequency.

Sig: I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them. -- Isaac Asimov

Reply to
Rotes Sapiens