Stupid qestion

In this room I have a socket on the wall marked "230 V AC", but there is nothing plugged in.
If there is no load, then there is no current flow from the socket. If there
can only be current flow into a load, then does this mean that I nolonger have AC (alternating current)?
So why do we say AC, when we really mean AV? Just a thought!
Even without load, the voltage continues to oscillate while the current is zero. You are of coarse correct from my point of view. But logic and science seldom go hand in hand, unfortunately! But, if you look at the device in its working state rather than its idle, and useless, then the current alternates. Ok. I'll give em that ...
Tim Gard

Interesting response to a relatively meaningless question. Many thanks to you and all who have given their opinion. I shall refrain from asking if the generating company are not cheating me by selling me the same electrons, over and over again ;-)
CC

science
nolonger

I can attempt to at least partially answer your question even without my morning cup of coffee. :) There is still voltage at those contacts even though nothing is plugged into it, i.e. just because your widget isn't plugged in doesn't mean the whole grid just shut down obviously. :) So there is still alternating voltage, as you indicate, you're just not tapping into it. Therefore, there is no current flowing, and thus no "alternating current".
Mike
|> In this room I have a socket on the wall marked "230 V AC", but there is |> nothing plugged in. |> |> If there is no load, then there is no current flow from the socket. If there |> can only be current flow into a load, then does this mean that I no longer |> have AC (alternating current)? |> |> So why do we say AC, when we really mean AV? Just a thought! | | I can attempt to at least partially answer your question even without | my morning cup of coffee. :) | There is still voltage at those contacts even though nothing is | plugged into it, i.e. just because | your widget isn't plugged in doesn't mean the whole grid just shut | down obviously. :) So there | is still alternating voltage, as you indicate, you're just not tapping | into it. Therefore, there is | no current flowing, and thus no "alternating current".
Actually, there is alternating current flowing. How much depends on how far the wire runs. There's only voltage at the end, but there is current along the wires. It's called "charging current".
On Mar 2, 1:30 pm, snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote:

There's no current flowing out of the outlet because there's no load, but of course there is still something running through the supply line.

Actually there is voltage all along the wires also.
Ben Miller
--
Benjamin D. Miller, PE
B. MILLER ENGINEERING
Chugga Chug wrote:

from this point it just word games :) your AC is potentially there

current is the movement of electrons (or holes if you prefer)
voltage is derived from current.
AV means audio/visual
VA means volt-amps or veterans administration or Virginia

There is absolutely no reason why abbreviations cannot be re-used again and again. Take for example AA. This is a battery form designation, but it also means:
Amino Acid Anti-Aircraft Alcoholics Anonymous Automobile Association American Airlines Arabian Acoustics
Even the BBC would be horrified to read my dictionary of abbreviations. It also lists the "Belfast Boat Club"!
Harry Darkas wrote:

sure there is, accurate communication is needed. when the same sounds or abbreviations have different meanings within a related field coherent communication ceases.
remove the X to answer ----------------------------