Synchronous Generator with variable speed

Dear All, I would like to know if it is possible to operate a synchronous generator with a rotor energized with an AC supply under variable speed condition.

Thanks for help

Reply to
Philippe

Your statement is as big as Alaska.

Yes with in the tolerances of the controls. Varying the speed of the generator will result in varying the hertz produced.

Reply to
SQLit

What are you hoping to achieve in doing this?

changing the Rotor polarity slowly will result in the output voltage of the alternator changing with the changing field current. When the polarity of the field reversed the polarity of the AV Coltaged will do an instaneous 180 degree shift. Is this what you had in mind ? Tom Grayson

Reply to
Tom Grayson

What is the intent of doing this? Constant output frequency for a variable input speed?

It can be done, particularly if the input speed range remains within a given range. If you want something to work from 0 to some max. RPM, it will get tricky .

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

It was just an idea. I was asking myself if a signal elaborated by the difference between speed and fixed frequency can eventualy drive the AVR to maintain the voltage on the stator. Of course i'm sure that the technology of the rotor may be very complex. We may found application for hydroelectric plant perhaps.

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com...

Reply to
Philippe

Its more appropriate for a prime mover whose speed must be regulated for some other application and the generator is a secondary load. Automotive or aircraft engines are an example, where the RPM is dictated by propulsion requirements.

Rather than some complex rotor drive circuitry, the approach is to let the generator follow the prime mover's speed and generate variable frequeencies. The output is then rectified and used to produce fixed frequency AC via various solid state switching topologies.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.