Transistor biasing help

Hello.. I asked this question a while back and I did get some answers. But I'm now taking an Analog Electronic course and the instructor is having us go a little more into the circuit than I was taught.

To start off... I'm trying to understand a simple 4 resistor amplifier and then add capacitors in there so I can amplify AC (I wont go into that now). I'll use R1 and R2 for the voltage divider on the base of the transistor (R1 being the top resistor and R2 the bottom), R3 will be Rc and R4 will be Re. Then we can assume a beta of 100, our input voltage will be 20 and a Vce of approx 10 (half way from 20 so the signal can swing up and down).

Now the way I was originally taught... calculate your voltage divider and ignore base current. So if R1 and R2 are both 1k, then your base voltage is

10volts, your Ve is 9.3 (assuming 0.7volt drop Vbe), you calculate your emitter current and voltage, then you consider Ie and Ic equal and calculate your collector stuff.

About a year ago I wanted to learn how to actualy "design" so someone suggested the follow which is a GREAT way of doing it. A transistor data sheet has beta for given values of Ic and Vce, so you first calculate your R3 value to get your Vc to the value your looking for. In this case we can consider Ic and Ie equal for purproses of discussion. (I know Ic is beta divided by beta +1 times Ie higher). Then you set your R4 so your Vce will be the 10volts that I'd like to get. Now at this point last year I was given two pieces of advice. I could ignore base current if it's small enough or (the way I used all the time) I calculate base current based on Ie/beta=Ib (assuming worse case beta, for a 2n2222a I believe the lowest is 50, but let's stick with 100) then I base my R1 on being 20 times higher than my base current for a rule of thumb. Then R2 is selected based on the total current calculated through R1 and subtract the base current to get your current through R2.

This was the way I used and stuck with. But now that I'm in school, the teacher is teaching us impedance and gains which is something I wasn't using. He'll tell us to make Vce 10volts for max swing (understandable). Then in order to get a gain of say 10, we make R3 10k and R4 1k, calculate our currents and voltages. Now the totally confusing part for me is.... we need to get our R1 and R2 values. The teacher uses Thev. equivelant by saying our load looking into the base is Re*beta +1, our Vthev is what the load sees looking the other way (into R1 and R2), and our Rb is R1 in parallel with R2. This is easy to understand, but then the teacher says, let's "assume" R1 and R2 is 1k, that would be a Vthev of 10volts and and Rthev of 500 ohms and we do a loop equation based on that. I told him about my 20 times higher rule and he said, that can be a way of doing it 'I guess', but doing it this way you can come up with your own equation and it's more accurate.

My confusion is what to make R1 and R2. My book (which is impossible to understand, even the teacher doesn't understand why the school picked it) goes into a few 'rules of thumb' as well which states something about make this 1/3 of that and this 1/3 of this. But the strange thing is, if I'm designing circuit after circuit, all my circuits are going to be exactly alike because I'm making everything 1/3 of this and 1/3 of that. Forinstance, my company pretty much uses 15volts for most of it's circuits,

5 volts for the logic and 24 for the higher powered stuff. All my amplifier circuits would be based on 1/3 of 15volts and 1/3 of that, blah blah. I could simply make an excel spread sheet and never have to calculate anything ever again. Then how could I ever call myself an enginee? I'd never be able to figure out where a problem is in my design if I only followed rules. but anyway... I know I want my R1 and R2 high enough so that when base current changes due to temp or the variations in beta that we don't have to worry about it. But I'm trying to understand everything. The teacher gives us a loop equation and distracts us with that, then plugs "assumptions" in for values and bases his entire circuit on throwing whatever resistor value that pops in his head in the circuit. I think it's becasue he has done if for so many years, he knows what to use and a person that is trying to understand why he does it doesn't follow his steps.

If someone can help me out with the R1 and R2 stuff, that would be great. I don't think I need to waste anyone's time with R3 and R4, I know my formulas and I know how to use the loop equation. We are really getting into the details of a transistor and now I just found out that the emitter changes

25mv per ma I believe, so now does the transistor end up running away because the emitter voltage increases, then the collector increases, changes the beta then changes the base current, then changes the emitter voltage, then changes the collector voltage, then the beta. I NEVER thought a 4 resistor and 1 transistor circuit can be so confusing. I thought I really understood these circuits until I started this class.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!

Reply to
Peter

You can really get tangled up in your analysis. How about thinking about it this way.

You know if it's a silicon transistor it's going to drop about 700 mV base to emitter. Any reasonable beta will mean emitter current will be much greater than base current. You probably know the dynamic resistance base to emitter is about 30 divided by the emitter current in mA.

SO, choose an emitter current. Say 1 mA for our purposes.

Choose a resistor, emitter to ground. Suppose you want the emitter at say 5 volts, so you'll put 5 K there. Now the base has to be 5.7 volts, just do a divider to generate that, with resistors say no more than 5 times the emitter current so you need not worry about base current.

Now, let's just say we want the collector at 7.5 volts or so. If you've a 10 volt supply the collector is taking about a mA, you'll need 2.5 K.

DC gain is going to be pretty much the ratio of collector to emitter resistance. think about it this way. With a small signal going in, the emitter voltage will pretty much follow the base voltage, it looks like an emitter follower.

So 1 mV swing at the base gives about 1 mV swing at the emitter, 1 mV across 5 K is .2 microamps. 0.2 microamps across the 2.5 K in the collector is 0.5 mV.

Bypass the emitter resistor with a cap, you have a dynamic emitter resistance of about 30 ohms, and the AC gain is 2.5K/30.

Start there, what I've offered is pretty much independent of the transistor parameters for reasonable transistors. Beta and other factors come into play when you're worried about power consumption or other factors. The back of the envelope stuff here will give reasonably accurate results, and the good news is, you'll be able to look at a circuit and estimate what should be happening before you get lost in analysis.

Hope this helped.

Reply to
AJW

Thanks to all - this whole discussion helped me. Playing with the ideas on a breadboard today!

Perion

Reply to
Perion

Well I think this helped. I guess you just have to do this all the time in order to get ideas.

I'm still not sure how to judge what the resistor from Vcc to the base and the resistor from base to ground should be. I thought I knew to make the resistor from Vcc to the base 20 times higher than the Ib, but it doesn't seem to be the case from what the teacher is saying. But he just plugs numbers in and assumes and then finished off the problem that way.

Reply to
Peter

There is no hard fast rule that says the resistor should be 20 times the other. What is common is that the divider will pass about 10 times more current than the base is actually using, and the voltage at the base or junction of these two resistors needs to be about .6 volts higher than the emitter voltage. Some other pointers ---- A silicon transistor begins to conduct collector current when the base to emitter forward bias is about .5 volts. At .7 volts the transistor should be conducting heavily. Maximum beta occurs in the area of .6 volts. The relationship between Vbe and IC is logarithmic. A tenfold increase in base current produces only a 60 mv change in base to emitter voltage. So by knowing what Vbe is, does not tell you where Ic is, it's just a figure that gets you in the ballpark. After your circuit is breadboarded, then you can tweak the ratio of those two resistors to get the collector voltage exactly where you want it. There is nothing wrong with this kind of approach because it greatly simplifies the calculations needed to make a working circuit.

Reply to
bg

Here is an example for you--- Let's assume that we need an extra 20db of gain for a microphone preamp. The input z needs to be at least 2.5k and the output Z needs to be about 10k. We have a wharehouse full of 2n3904's and a supply voltage of +18vdc. We are not too concerned about distortion, noise or power consumption and any frequency response covering 200hz to 10khz will suffice. It will be hard not to succeed with these constraints. If the microphone outputs 10 mv peak, then our output will have a 100mv peak signal. Compare

100mv to an 18 volt supply , and it is easy to see that the collector Q point voltage can sit nearly anywhere from 0 volts to 18 volts and we don't have to worry about clipping. Of course we do want to stay away from the extremes of the supply rails so we will bias the amp so that the collector voltage sits somewhere in the middle at 9 volts. At low signal levels such as this, it would be possible to not use an emitter resistor. In normal room temperatures , the variation in beta probably would not cause enough Q point drift to cause clipping, but we won't take that route. If Rl/Re = voltage gain and Z out = 10k, then Rl = 10k and Re = 1k (20db is a gain of 10) For the collector to sit at 9 volts, we need a collector current of 9v/10k = .9ma The emitter current is going to be Ic+Ib, but because Ib is very small compared to Ic (probably 1%), we will ignore Ib and just use Ie=Ic, therefore the emitter voltage sits at Ic x Re = .9ma x 1K = .9 volts. If Rb is going to be 2.5k, our input resistance, and the base voltage is going to be .6 volts higher than the emitter voltage, then the voltage across Rb is .9 +.6 = 1.5 volts. the current through Rb is I = 1.5v/2.5k = .6ma . Then Ra has to drop 18 volts - 1.5 volts at .6ma Ra = 27.5k

Ra could be made a 27k which is a standard value, without any adverse effect on the Q point. If you fire this up with your favorite software you will see that it meets our requirements. The ratio of Rb/Re, our circuits current gain, is only 2.5. This means that any transistor with a beta of 10 or better capable of operatiing with a collector current of 1ma should bias up correctly.

Reply to
bg

The voltage gain is basically 40 times the supply voltage if there is no external re./ This occurs near saturation of the transistor.

Nothing else matters.

Reply to
bushbadee

I forgot to put my sig in the subject.

I once had to do a similer problem in class.

the gain of a transistor is simply 40 times Vcc and it occurs close to saturation.

Nothing else really matters.

It there is large external resistors, the gain is Rc over Re.

Reply to
bushbadee

I seem to remember this to be the the small signal voltage gain: 40 Ic Rc, where R is the Ic is the collector current and Rc is the collector load resistance. Ic Rc is voltage across the load resistor, which might be said to approximate to Vcc when the emitter resistor is small and the transistor near saturation. The value 40 is temperature dependent, and is the approximate value for room temperature. The calculation only makes sense if the emitter resistance is decoupled, since otherwise most of the input signal voltage variation appears across the emitter resistor, and is not amplified.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

SO WHAT, now design it so it works over temperature -40C to +85C

(see how your transistor characteristics very over temp. Ain't 0.7 anymore Alice.)

Reply to
Zebop

The derating figures tell me that at 85 degrees, the power dissapation is derated to about 100mw. We are at 7+ mw. So Pd is not an issue. Using circuitmaker, the collector Q point drifts from less than 11 vdc to a bit more than 8 vdc. So Q point is not an issue. The voltage gain still sits at 20db. At those temps, I'd be more worried about the person speaking into the mic than the circuit failing. Just don't expect DC coupling.

Reply to
bg

Riight on sylvia.

If you write the equations for the gain of a transistor and take the internal Re of the transistor as being 25ohms/Ire(in miliamps) then Re and Rc drop out or the equation completely and the gain becomes 40 X Vcc,

Ass Re at a given current can vary with temperature if temperature is a consideration then as you say the gain can also vary.

But Re does not really vary much with temp unless you go to extreems. Of course "very much " is open to individual thoughts on the matter.

At close to saturation IcRc is equal to Vcc. So you can drop them from the equation.

The example was given for a circuit with out an external emmitter resistor.

I got an A in the course for that one.

The Instructor just wanted to know the trick.

Reply to
bushbadee

Thanks for everyone's help. It is difficult to try and match all these parameters. Right now I'm trying to work on a project for class.

Common emitter circuit, gain of -10, input impedance minimum 10k, output impedance of 5k and the output has to be 5v rms.

I can get just about everything except matching the input impedance. If I change a resistor to get that, then I change the gain, the I need to change something else then I ruin the output impedance.

Thanks again

Reply to
Peter
041111 2156 - Peter posted:

Yeah, life sux sometimes, and sometimes it sux all the time...

Reply to
indago