is this safe?

My company has installed a new water heater over our sink (to make tea). However, there is a metal switched fused spur directly over the sink which feeds the boiler. I thought these had to be a certain distance away from people using sinks? Is this safe? gm

Reply to
glenn

I'm not sure what you mean by "metal switched fused spur" or what country you are posting from.

Reply to
Bob Peterson

There's no distance specified in the regs. It requires that services (water and electricity in this case) should be suitably protected against hazards likely to arise in normal use.

Probably, unless positioning of the fused connection unit is such that it's likely to get splashed in normal use and the type of FCU fitted is unsuitable for this.

Personally, I would also earth-bond the area, but that's not a requirement in the regs for this location.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Sounds like he is talking about a UK installation to me. The sink and any metal water pipes would be required to be bonded.

Reply to
Angof

No they would not. No reqiremet for supplementary bonding in any room other than a bathroom.

Steve Dawson

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

Somewhere in the regs (uk) it states that any you should not be able to touch any outlet, spur etc when able to touch sink,taps etc (same as in bathrooms) I`m not sure where in the regs it is or even if it still covered by the regs, also I think there is a minimum distance of 1 meter.

I will check on this for you and get back to you.

Reply to
Garry Bellamy

One METER?

Gad, you must have very small people on your side of the pond if you can't touch two things separated by one meter at the same time.

If there is a distance requirement, it's likely more to do with splashing water causing (in time) a leakage path than someone touching the plug while his other hand is in the basin.

Usually the real problem is with hand held appliances (hair dryers, shavers) or small, plug in radios. These can fall into a basin or tub with water or just get wet and become a hazard.

Reply to
John Gilmer