Re: Newbie: Cary Safe

the teacher you had at lockmasters is very competent, mine also worked at lockmasters now he works for the navy ,does that give you a clue? I dont think your instructor ever spent 2 days on a gsa. and also i did not know the cia was part of the military. {but the regs are quite similar but i wont comment on them because i dont have them and never read them} now you are also getting into english safes. anybody who uses 3" holes and 14 of them is incompetent there is no excuse for butchering a safe to bits to open it. If you cant do the work sub it out dont screw your customer over for your ego. and lastly hole sawing the bolts on a gsa container is an acceptable method of opening, but it is for unskilled safe techs that dont have the knowledge or training to drill the lock. you know i have been going to savta for the past 12 years, instructing for the last 7 { I even used your lockmasters guy JC as an assistant in vegas} have I met you at any of the conventions?

Reply to
todd

He had 12 years Navy (if I remember right) plus several years working FOR the navy, opening/repairing the GSA containers for them and 'others'

gee- screw the factory then, they are the one that told the guy to do it... while they sent a new door...

no, never have any near me...plus the cost VS 'return on investment' is not a 'doable thing yet.'

I figure I would blow $3 grand going for the week, if I didn't buy anything...and right now the payback on that is not justifiable.

--Shiva-- nuk pu nuk

Reply to
--Shiva--

gee- screw the factory then, they are the one that told the guy to do it... while they sent a new door... what is so suprising about a factory telling you to destroy their product. It serves 2 purposes. First show that it can not be opened by anybody , wow what a good product they make. second they make a sale. so lets recap, tell them how to open it with a 1/4 in. hole and sell the customer nothing or tell them how to trash the door and sell a new door, kinda a no brainer there. But now lets look at a professional approach. Drill the lock with a small hole repair the door and lock and the customer can use the container within a couple hours, or cut 3 in. holes in the door and wait for days to be able to lock the safe again. i guess this is where the expression buyer beware comes from

Reply to
todd

no, in this case they KEPT the sale...was brand new... 'damaged in shipment' the glass relocker plate got broke, and set 15 relockers off... a new door was shipped from the factory to install, they know how much was required to get the original door open...

see above... drill the 1/4" hole, through 10" of various alloys, pull 'springs/wires/devices' requiring many # of force THROUGH this hole- nope...you drill the face in this case, a new door was shipped immediately...the factory paid the bill- you do what the factory says, UNLESS there is really a compelling reason otherwise, then its ON YOU...

SPEAKING of things... Fire King called one day... had a 4 drawer file cabinet at a school near by, with a stuck drawer... we agreed on price and I went over and opened the drawer, reset the latch per their instructions...and made notes on the condition...called back, told them what I found, just to have it on record...this was spring... in the fall, got another call from Fire King... ANOTHER drawer was now stuck...

The cabinet had in the mean time been moved to another building, and was now rocking on the not level floor (grannys rocking chair is a good description) fixed the new problem per their instructions...this WAS out of warranty and they were just being nice... 3 months later, ANOTHER CALL... same cabinet... same problem... I went over and looked, and it had been moved AGAIN... ther was no adjustment in the drawers left to do, and called them back, after talking to the assistant principal... She was going to call their supplier (NOT Fire King, but an intermediatory) and that afternoon ANOTHER person from Fire King called and asked about could I go look at such and such file cabinet at the school. I immediately had her talk to the original person there at Fire King that called, and let them have a chat... the result was that due to the damage done to the cabinet when originally installed the 'supplier' they bought it from would have to pay the bill for repair, which it turned out, they declined to do... (It had the fork pattern of a forklift buried in the back side of the cabinet, PLUS was racked out of square about 3/8", all this done when it was originally received, which no one made a note of.)

Now, I had a call from (wont name the company-but they pay good) to go about 25 miles and install a new inner lock on a 2 door (outer and inner) safe in a business... it was locked out...

to open- drill a hole at certain location, reach in and .....eh never mind where...... I inquired HOW to repair the hole? OH, just take a 1/8" screw and stick in, and break the point off......the metal of the safe wall would not stand that much pressure....but, I plugged it so it didnt show...and this is, AFAIK, about a $1,000 unit... security? ehh, don't think so...BUT IT SELLS WELL!!!!! and its NOT a Sentry... --Shiva-- nuk pu nuk

Reply to
--Shiva--

ok you win, just one last thing, what make and manufacture of safe was that with 15 relockers attached to the glass plate?

Reply to
todd

English... a Tahn, --Shiva-- nuk pu nuk

Reply to
--Shiva--

do you know the model?

Reply to
todd

no, dont remember other than it was something over 100k in price. delivered to NYC... it 'rattled' when they unloaded it with a forklift... --Shiva-- nuk pu nuk

Reply to
--Shiva--

2 Days? Way too long. Most often GSA containers are opened by sawing the control drawer bolts then the whole drawer head is replaced. GSA red and black label containers are not that hard to open. The priority with these containers is resistance to covert entry. The detailed opening/repair instructions can be found here:
of the DOD.
Reply to
Putyourspamhere

15 relockers? No safety pins used in transit? What is the original source for this story?
Reply to
Putyourspamhere

You mean Tann? What model?

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Not that I'm a big Tann Safe expert, but I've never seen more than 4 relockers on any of the Tanns I've dealt with.

Frank

Reply to
A1ABDJ

{SNIP} "> > now GSA containers are a different breed... SOME can be

I suspect 2 days is the time to have the replacement drawerhead airshipped from whereever. Cutting the bolts on a class 5 or 6 container shouldn't take more than an hour or so at the most. Incidentally this technique has been around since at least the mid '60s. In those days the doctrine called for the saw cuts to be welded. ground flat and painted. The two bolts were welded back together, some minor lathe turning operations performed and then reversed in the drawer head so the welded sections were not directly opposite the cuts. The biggest problem with this technique is the mess that it makes with the crap from the cutoff blades.

Reply to
Jim Gaynor

Carbide hole saw(s). Or diamond drill. I think those instructions are there too somewhere. Maight be wrong though.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere