Simplex 1000

I have a Simplex 1000 lock the has a worn "locking slide" in te combination chamber. It is allowing the lock to open without using a combination because there is no resistance on the the mechanism.

Is there a place or someone that has parts from old locks available? A new chamber is $80.

Thanks

Reply to
GFC

Were you trying to change the combination just before this happened? Sounds more like you just have an "open" combination (a mistake in changing the combination) What happens when you enter a wrong combination? Does it still open? If not, it's just as I said; an open combo.

Just reset it again like you normally would. Only this time do the following...

***Slowly and deliberately***

clear it by turning the knob opposite the opening direction

(without entering any combo) insert the tool and turn until you hear/feel the click then turn back

clear it again

enter the new combo

turn knob in the opening direction and the latch should retract

Now try the lock without entering any combo and it should stay locked.

If that doesn't work, or if it worked on *any* combination from the start it could be the combination chamber OR..... it could be the clutch and the lock isn't "clearing". But if it was only opening when you enter no combo at all, do the above and that should straighten you your problem.

Good luck

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

FWIW, I have had to disassemble one of them once, due to the person 'trying to set a new combo', and they got it wrong.. after knowing it was set to nothing, THEN putting in numbers, it worked OK.. but it was a fun half hour figuring out how the thing should be to 'start from scratch'.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Take the factory-training intro at a local trade show; they'll brief you on this and some of the other interesting features of the lock mechanism.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

No...it always opens.

I have the chamber apart. The sliding arm, that you need to remove to "zero out" the lock, has a nick in the metal at the point where it is pushed by a wheel when the handle is turned. If an invalid combo is entered, I believe there is suppose to be resistance causing the "clutching" mechanism to not open the lock. With this nick in the metal, the wheel always turns and the lock always opens.

Its a very small, but important point in the lock as far as I can tell. I've compared the chamber to a working one and this is the failing part.

Thanks

Reply to
GFC

would be nice, too far away.. they dont do trade shows out in my neck of the woods. but I got it figured out, pretty quick.. interesting mess of parts too.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

--Shiva-- wrote: > but I got it figured out, pretty quick..

Agreed, it's not that bad... but there are some useful tricks which are easier to see demonstrated than to figure out. (How to read the existing combo off the gears, for example. What some of the common failure points are, and how you can cheat around them if you're too cheap to actually replace the chamber. (I don't think they covered GFC's question, though.) And a few similar oddities.

Yeah, it's a cute little bit of clockwork. I'm not wild about it, but it's a good choice for some tasks.

Just DON'T use the factory combination. Please. I've seen too many left that way!

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

LOLOL..

place called, cant get their night deposit safe open.. seems the cleaning crew bumped the dial, and it was hard to turn...

So, I asked, whats the combo??

4 times left to 50, then right to open... STILL set to factory combo after 5 YEARS or more.. 50 didnt work, but 49 did..

I THINK somewhere I saved a file, telling about that gear pack and how to determine the combo.. and they are NOT ''THE secure thing.. but for some uses are fine..

I got one business has one on an outside door, which I do NOT recommend at all.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Agreed. They're good for slowing folks down in an otherwise fairly secure area. I've seen 'em used to limit access to copiers, for example, or to ensure that someone trying to take tools without permission will be standing outside the crib long enough that the camera will get a good picture of them.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

The lockout feature, when present, adds to the security of them. Common sense, or lack of it, in choosing the combo and in protecting it will also make a difference.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere