how to get Steelcase Broadsides file cabinet lock working?

got an older 5 drawer Steelcase Broadsides file cabinet 800 series made around 1986. have the key for the lock but it doesn't work---any idea how I can get the lock working?

is this lock something we can knock out at home w/ a screwdriver & replace?

is there a file cabinet locking bar available for this kind of cabinet (36" wide, 64 5/8" tall)? looked online & most locking bars look like they aren't made for this size cabinet

is there a way to temporarily secure the cabinet for a few days? thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
curiousitygeorge

there IS an after market bar thats bolted on one side, takes a padlock at the top.. assuming it is that tall.. comes in 2, 3 and

4 drawer models.. your key wont TURN? or does nothing as its turned? key code is on the lock face usually.. --Shiva--
Reply to
me

Don't panic. The file cabinet is probably fine, the lock is probably fine.

Is the cabinet currently locked or open?

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

there are 5 drawer locking bars on the market.

visit your local locksmith shop.

g'luck

Reply to
Key

Reply to
curiousitygeorge

I looked online & at the attached link you provided but none of the outside file cabinet bars appear to be long enough for my file cabinet (64 5/8" tall & 36" wide). Does anyone know where I can get a longer bar to fit my cabinets online or in the Washington DC area?

A Steelcase shop in Baltimore wants $126 plus labor to replace entire lock mechanism----any idea on how we can fix it?

Any idea how I can temporarily secure the file cabinet for a fewl days before I can get the lock fixed or locate proper length file cabinet bar?

Thanks!

Reply to
curiousitygeorge

further question..has this cabinet NOT been used in some time? IE, stored away and just now got out for use? has this key EVER worked? or is this key one you got for 'replacement'?

IF, it has been stored away, I would suggest a 'LITTLE' amount of WD40 to be sprayed into the key hole.. LITTLE AMOUNT, then run the key in and out a few times....see if that frees up any sticky pin/s it has

ALSO, on the lock itself, with key inserted try pushing in on the lock itself as you attempt to turn the key.

are the drawers OPEN? sometimes I have seen a 'not able to lock' unless the drawers are close situation..but, this is assuming that the lock is in its open position. this has nothing to do with the key not turning

if the drawers are closed, AND the lock IS locked, then the worry about someone getting in unknown is somewhat moot for the weekend, and you can call for help tomorrow..

this lock 'should be' available from a bigger lock shop and unless its something really strange, for FAR LESS than the $126 you were quoted..

IF tho, the lock IS unlocked-the plug sticking out- and the key does not turn, then something is wrong with the key if new, or the lock itself is broken internally and needs replacing. it should not be that hard to unhook and remove same..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

Shiva, I squirted some WD40 into key lock & ran key in & out of lock a few times. I also pressed in while I tried to turn the key a number of times w/ no luck. All drawers were firmly closed when I did the above. The Steelcase cabinet does not lock. This is a cabinet that was given to me a few years ago so I don't know the last time the lock worked. The key is stamped with the same number that is on the filecabinet & the key says it is a Steelcase key. There's no sign of rust on anything. Cabinet is very clean. The 5 drawer file cabinet is unlocked but the plug is not sticking out, it is flush with lock base. I put the bottom 2 drawers back in the cabinet when I got it. Is it possible that the way I returned the drawers esp. the bottom drawer is keeping it from locking? Do you have a diagram of how this Steelcase Broadsides 800 Series 1986 5 drawer file cabinet locking mechanism works inside & down the sides of the cabinet? Is it possible that this cabinet has a way to keep it unlocked that could be released on the inside of the cabinet to enable the locking mechanism to go back to working?

I will not be able to see a locksmith for several days--any suggestion how to temporarily secure the cabinet?

thanks!!!!

Reply to
curiousitygeorge

ok, then its locked..

no, dont, sorry..

Is it possible that this

not that I know of off hand..

not without a LOT of cosmetic damage that cannot be reversed..

feel on the inside,top drawer, see if there is a big long bar verticle, make certain that bar is free..this is located to the back of the lock, on the right side, between the drawer and outside wall.. this bar SHOULD be able to be wiggled a bit up and down..this is the lock for all the drawers..the lock itself just keeps the bar from moving.. its possible that something is jammed up in this mechanism, but that still does not explain the key itself not turning.. so, IMO, you may have 2 separate problems going on..

you should be able to see how the lock comes out, as well..might need a small mirror to see the holder, but its there.

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

Shiva, the vertical bar on inside right & left side move up & down w/ no trouble about a 1/4 inch---if that appears to be working does that mean it is the lock itself?

If I pulled out the lock, would a local locksmith in DC area be able to match it with something similar to the Steelcase lock in it now?

I w> >

Reply to
curiousitygeorge

that MIGHT NOT be far enough travel, however the lock itself could be holding it..

doubt thats the case..

??? that might remove the plug, but.. I would go after the entire lock assembly myself. phone around tomorrow and see what you can find.

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

First off there is probably nothing wrong with your lock. The usual problem is that the mechanism is out of time.

There are 2 locking mechanisms on lateral files, one is the key lock, and the other is a safety mechanism that locks the rest of the drawers when one of them is open so you don't open two at the same time and have the cabinet tip over.

Start by removing all of the drawers. look inside for the mechanism that is the safety interlock and see why and how it is supposed to work. manipulate this mechanism so it thinks all of the drawers are closed and the key will probably now turn.

If it does not look for causes. Common problems are loose papers that get jammed in the works or loose fasteners that need to be replaced.

Most of the time these can be returned to service without the need for any parts.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Reply to
curiousitygeorge

also wanted to ask if anyone has a picture of how this steelcase 5 drawer file cabine type of lock should work? i've figured out the mechanism inside the cabinet for locking/unlocking drawers but don't know how this lock cylinder should look if it's working properly.

went to 2 hardware stores to see if they had replacement lock but noth> Roger, Shiva & others: I got the lock out. What I noticed was that

Reply to
curiousitygeorge

also wanted to ask if anyone has a picture of how this steelcase 5 drawer file cabine type of lock should work? i've figured out the mechanism inside the cabinet for locking/unlocking drawers but don't know how this lock cylinder should look if it's working properly.

went to 2 hardware stores to see if they had replacement lock but noth> Roger, Shiva & others: I got the lock out. What I noticed was that

Reply to
curiousitygeorge

need a new lock..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

It is kind of hard to say for certain, but my guess is that the plug may be in the cylinder 90 or 180 degrees from where it should be. Other things might be wrong but if the mechanism checks out ok and only the plug will not turn in the cylinder and the key matches the tumblers in the lock that is my best guess.

With the plug out of the cylinder, and the cylinder in the cabinet, and the top drawer removed, look into the hole where the plug goes and observe the action when you actuate the mechanism by hand.

What you should see is the cam in the back rotating 90 or 180 degrees. The plug will go into the cylinder either at 12, 3 6 or 9 O'clock but internal bosses may only allow a rotation of 90 or 180 degrees. If the plug is out of time with the mechanism it will not turn one way because the boss is preventing it from going that way, and it will not turn the other way as the mechanism is preventing it from going the other way.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf