What do I need to do to use a device

Hi all First posting here, need some advice.

My friend brought over a GT Xpress 101 from the US to the UK

Now, voltage not being the same, I can't use this device yet.

On it, it states the following:

120v ac 60hz 750w.

The plug is 2 pin, I was told by someone that I could change the transformer inside to make it compatible in the UK, and then it's a case of attaching a

3 pin plug or adapter for the plug.

Is it easy, I know people who know a bit about electrics, one is qualified, but I wont be seeing him until next week. What sort of transformer should I get, how much (in GBP) would it cost? I came across this,

that a better option?

Many thanks AFK

Reply to
AFK

I don't know anything about this appliance, but if it just contains a heating element and nothing clever, then the easiest thing to do is probably to buy a 1kW UK construction site transformer, which will give you 110V (as 55-0-55V) output, and change the appliance plug to a UK construction site plug.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

is that a better option?

There won't be a transformer inside - just one or two heating elements, a thermostat and a neon to light when the element(s) are heating.

From the price and the limited description (I can't see any pictures to tell), I think that your link is to unit that switches between a 30W autotransformer and a power rectifier to give the 1600W output.

Many, many people use this sort of unit quite happily for powering devices like yours.

I have a similar unit, which has been running a 110V waffle iron for more years than I care to mention. There is one main difference - mine has a 3 pin plug and is earthed. So, if the insulation did fail, the case could not become live (for long).

Call me a worrier - but I wouldn't use your 2 pin unit with such a device, in a kitchen. I would insist on using a 750W or greater "proper" autotransformer. Unlike the rectifier device, this will keep all the voltages present in the unit within those designed for.

RS

has a range of them including item stock number: 31119. They are expensive, though.

Reply to
Palindr☻me