What gage wire should I be using?

I'm trying to build a small 50 Ohm antenna with the following specs:

5 turns of wire with a 1.5cm diameter in a spiral coil, Coil resistance should be .6 Ohms, Inductance is .777uH. How would I go about calculating the gage wire needed?
Reply to
Art
1.5 cm * 3.14159 * 5 turns = 23.56 cm / 2.54 cm = 9.27 inchs / 12 inchs = .773 ft / .9534 ft / ohm = .810 ohm using 40 awg.

Could this page help?

Dave M.

Get the length of the wire 1.5 * pi * 5 and use a wire table to find a gage that yields ~.6 ohms at that length. See

The length of the wire will depend upon spacing between the turns, which you did not specify. You also did not specify frequency. Still, with the numbers given, #39 AWG will give about .6 ohms. I did not check my calcs against the .777uH figure.

Reply to
ehsjr