How Do I Convert kWh to Therms and Therms to kWh?

Looking at my utility bill I see that my house used 1470 kWhs and 16 therms last billing period. Cost per kWh is $0.0047, cost per therm is $0.2376 plus franchise tax and delivery charges for both therms and kWh. The only gas natural gas (therms) I used is for stove and gas water heater.

As units of energy how many therms equal one kWh or how many kWh equal a therm.

I hope this is the correct newsgroup to post this question.

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I would imagine it depends on the calorific value of the gas supplied.

sQuick..

Reply to
sQuick

A Therm is 100,000 BTU, however many cubic feet of gas that may be. Most utility-supplied gas is around 1000 BTU/cubic foot.

1 watt is equivalent to 3.413 BTU/Hr, therefore 1 watt-hour equals 3.413 BTU. likewise, 1 kWh = 3413 BTU.

To answer your question, 1 kWh = .03413 Therms, or 1 Therm = 29.3 kWh.

Reply to
BFoelsch

Thanks, your answer helps. My house is heated by electrical baseboard heat but my utility bills are much much lower than my friends' heating with forced air natural gas. I kow there are many other variables but they are surprised that my utility bill is much lower than there bills.

All are in town brick row homes.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Works.

A Therm is 100,000 BTU. ...or about 30kWh.

(web searches work wonders ;-)

Keith R. Williams

Sorry, no. In the US, most home gas meters read in cubic feet. But on the bill, the CCF (hundreds of cubic feet, think Roman numeral for 100, 'C') is converted to therms by a conversion factor. This factor *is* the average energy content of the gas. For pure methane, this would be 1054 BTU/ft^3, so to convert CCF to therms (100,000 BTU), the CCF is multiplied by 1.054. Of course, the gas isn't *pure* methane, and it varies from month to month. So the conversion from CCF to therms varies on each bill, but will be around

1.054. Utilities are required to make this measurement and keep records of it.

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

Remember, during your conversions a gas-fired, or propane furnace is not going to be 100% efficient. A certain percentage of those therms is going to go up the exhaust stack.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

An excellent point. Yes, consider electricity to be 100% efficient and gas to be 80%, or so.

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

1 therm = 100000 BTU. 1 kwh = 3413 btu. 1 therm is therefore = 30 kwh

Unless you are reading your bill wrong, you have VERY cheap gas and electric.

Reply to
bob peterson

Yes, I do have very cheap gas and electric. It's generated by nuclear power and coal, less than one percent is generated by natural gas. Actually, right now my utility bill is much cheaper than similar houses being heated by natural gas

Mike

Reply to
Mike

utility bill for 12/16 - 1/16

1470 kWh x .03847000 56.55 distribution charge 1470 kWh x .0284000 41.75 customer charge 7.50

therms 18 cutomer charge 12.25 distribution charge 18 thermms x .2376000 4.28 franchise tax 18 therms x .0040200 .07 gas commodity cost 9therms x .6684000 6.02 9 therms x .762000 6.86

total $136.79

BGE as a lot of fees

Mike

Reply to